• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

05 Dodge Ram Speaker problem

I've got a quad cab and the driver side door speaker hasn't worked in about 4 years, so I finally got some ambition to check it out.

I removed the door panel to get to the speaker to first see if it was blown. I removed the speaker and put a meter on the wires with the radio on...no juice.

The speaker wires go thru the tube into the truck wall but I cant see them reappear inside under the dash. They must go into the wall of the vehicle but I have no idea where they go or come out at.

I wiggled the harness between the door and the truck to see if a wire was cracked and it didn't bump the meter at all.

Where would one start with this? Pull the radio and find the speaker wires for that speaker and cut and test it at the source to make sure the radio is not the culprit? Then just run 2 new wires out to the door from the radio?

Just remember that speakers operate on a/c voltage, but one should be able to catch something on d/c voltage. I would double check the flex joint in the door it may ne worth your time to remove the rubber cover over the wires and check to see if the wires are broke.

On a side note if I was working with that one speaker I would turn ballance and fade to that one speaker.

I tested it using the 10v DC and the needle didn't move at all.

I also shifted the volume to the left speaker in front and nothing changed.

I'll pull the cover off between the door and check that next.

Any idea where those wires show themselves at when they come into the cab? I cant see where they materialize.

I suppose i'll have to pull the radio out to see the wires and test for current there to make sure it isn't radio gone bad.

Any idea where those wires show themselves at when they come into the cab? I cant see where they materialize.

No,

A wire diagram would help, but I am no help at posting pictures on this forum. Probably be a better Idea to check the two wires for continuity before back probing the radio to check for power to that speaker. One wrong move and a spark later.... frown

after reading some forums online, it sounds like a lot of the vehicle manufacturers use cheaper wire and it tends to break some wires with continued use of the door in cold weather.

I probably have a broken wire in the harness between the door and the truck.

Will investigate tomorrow.

I would recheck again with the meter on AC and a lower scale.

What is the resistance of the speaker? If the speaker shows nominal resistance, probably around 3 to 6 ohms, but makes absolutely no sound at all, then I'd assume it's probably in the wires or the radio.

You could also do a crude test on the speaker (while disconnected) by using some wires to temporarily make/break contact to a 1.5V battery like a AA or whatever. Should click/pop and move in or out a bit when you make and break the connection.