• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

91 Chev truck TPS

Hi Guys.

91 chev 1/2 ton, 4 x 4, ext cab, 5.7, auto trans.

The other day while coming home from work everything was fine. While cruising at 60 mph all is good. As soon as I tapped the brake to turn off the cruise the service engine light came on. I stopped at a stop sign, hit the foot feed, and the light came off. Drive aboot 10 miles, another stop sign, same thing happens. When I hit the foot feed, the light comes off.

Same thing happened this morning while coming into work. This time however, when I pulled into the shop it was idiling fast, like 1500 rpm or so.

I hooked up our auto x-ray code reader and got the following code....."22, throttle position indicator too low."

My question(s) are..Is this telling me the TPS is bad and needs to be replaced, or, is there an adjustment on it I need to make? I don't understand why it says...."Too low."

Thanks fellas, Merry Christmas.

Many/most tps can be adjusted. Generally speaking, on GM of that vintage, tps should be about 0.50 volt at idle. There is some leeway before a code is set but don't recall what that is, +/- 0.05 I'd think should still be in the range though.

To adjust just loosen the two mounting screws just enought to rotate the sensor until you have the right voltage then lock it down.

True, and its not all that uncommon for the older ones to get out of adjustment. If you can get the proper reading on both the idle voltage and the wide open throttle end you should be good to go. I was just thinking if he had the other one to put on there it would be ok to try that too, but it looks like they are different.

So, are yous guys telling me this is more than just "Unbolt the old one and bolt in a new one?" If I replace it I have to adjust it also? .5 volts at idle, anyone know what the WOT voltage should be?

Mac, yes I still have the rusted out 89 chev parked behind teh garage. I've already ripped a few parts off of it thanks to the missis hitting a deer with the 91.