• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auto Satellite Dish

randerson

I bought a KingDome for my directv. It came off the roof of an rv. I bought it for $150, found it on a popular list site. Also a popular auction site has them as well, they are a little more but not nearly as expensive as buying a brand new one for $500 and up. Mine is for standard def, it is a bigger dome but it is going to be permanently mounted to my roof. Have used it already and it works great. Just bring the standard receiver from home and away we go!

My vote is for the VuQube VQ1000. It can be used with both Dish Network and DirecTv. Winegard also makes the TRAV'LER SK-3005 DIRECTV Slimline dish, but it is on the spendy side!

The Winegard GM-1518 is also a great product. Again, it supports both providers, but only Dish Network in HD. The delay while changing channels however will be increased as it needs to toggle between satellites and therefore repoint to the satellite in which the programming is coming from. The upside is that it is fully automatic!

The only one that I am aware of is the Winegard TRAV'LER SK-3005 DIRECTV Slimline dish. Both the King-Dome and the VuQube are made by the same company, King Controls. They do support Dish Network in HD, but not DirecTv. They all come with a hefty price tag too. Servicing these isn't cheap either and I have seen problems with them all. There are a lot of moving parts and circuit boards that can potentially fry out. The nice thing about the King Controls products is that they are compatable with both providers, where the Winegard TRAV'LER is not.

For the price tag on these, you can pick up a provider specific dish and get a satellite meter for far less than the cost of the automatic dish. If you need a HD DirecTv SWM system, let me know. I have one laying in my garage.