• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1990 Cat Eltigre

My dad has a 1990 arctic cat that it is very hard to start when its cold and once you get it running you go to ride it its really sluggish when you go to start out, than once you take the weight off the rear end it's runs just fine. any idea of what it could be??

Big Fish Hunter247

Could be a few things. "Hard to start and sluggish" plugs, not enough gas, to much gas, bad crank seal, weak pump, low compression, fuel line, fuel pickup tube inside the tank. When you lift up the track dose is it blow a lot of smoke and is there a smell of raw gas or gas dripping out the exhast? Need more imfo.

When its on the ground it hardly has the power to move itself but when I lift the track off the ground it runs great it does smoke alot for about the first five mins when its cold but thats it. I dont see or smell gas from around it none comming out of the exaust. It does have very high miles on it like 12,000+ it was a demonstrator model before my dad bought it and that was 2 years ago if that helps any?

Thanks
Big Fish Hunter247

With the sled on the ground, watch the tach when you give it gas. It should go up to a minimum of 3000 before you even feel the track begin to move and it should go up to between 7 and 8 under full throttle load. If that seems ok, check your compression. 12k is alot of miles on a sled motor. Either have your dealer do it, it only takes a couple minutes, or else borrow or invest in a compression tester. Your local auto parts store should carry them fairly cheap and you'll probably get many used out of it through the years.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com