• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Bass in shallow water during summer heat

Might_B_A_Pike

Been bass fishing for awhile now, still very much a student in the area of figuring out where to find the big ones, felt like I have learned a good lesson I want to pass on.

Went out bass fishing yesterday in my Adirondack Guide Boat (looks like a canoe) for a couple of hours in a small metro lake that is electric motor only, we caught 2-20” and 1-19” and a few smaller ones, caught them with Senkos right at the edge of pads.

Did a lot of thinking of why and how this works in the crazy summer heat, conventional wisdom says go deep for the big ones in the summer, especially when the sun is high in the sky like it was for us.

I have come to the conclusion it is because the lake is very stained there is no plant growth once you get past about 7-8 FOW, and there is no natural structure (big bowl), so the middle of the lake in the deep water is seems to be more of a barren wasteland.

I think because the only structure in the lake is around the edges that is the only place the bait fish will be, and the bass are never far behind. Probably could find some pike in the middle looking for cooler water, but the bass were up shallow.

I would be very interested to hear other people opinions in this matter.