• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1994 60 H.P. Mercury Tiller Alarm

Biglade

Got a question for you motor Guru's. I recently purchased a new boat (at least new to me) both boat and motor are 1994's. I have had it out 6 or 7 times and I had the alarm go off on the motor it was a constant alarm, checked oil and I was low. Dumped a half gallon in and the alarm stopped. So oil resivoir is full. Anyway, I was fishing yesterday and I wanted to see if the new Minnkota Terrova could pull leadcore for awhile so I could set the i-pilot and sit back and relax with my son. I lifted the big motor out of the water and had it trimmed almost as high as it can go. I left the key on on accident after about an hour it started the loud continuous beep again. I started motor and started back for the landing alarm would not stop. I had fears that it could overheat, (motor was peeing fine) so I ran back to the landing with troll motor. When I went to load the boat the big motor would not start and I could see a little gas dripping out of bottom of motor head. Im getting long winded but anyway just wondering if anyone has an idea of what is going on so I dont sound dumb if I take it in to explain it to a mechanic. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I had the alarm module fail on mine last summer, it had similar symptoms except the motor ran fine. If your alarm module is OK it means you had a pretty significant time in over heat.

The oil alarm is a beep-pause-beep-pause..., the overheat is a continuous alarm.

jac, it runs fine it is peeing good also, the pee stream water is the same temp as lake water. Pretty sure it is the alarm module after researching it. Anytime your dealing with a possible overheat issue it gets a little scary!

Biglade, I also had an alarm sensor go on my '93 40 Merc. There is a way to check for sure whether that is it. I forget what it is, but I think if you call Merc customer service they would be able to advise. However, how do you explain the fact the motor wouldn't start again and the gas dripping? Surely the sensor wouldn't/shouldn't have anything to do with that...

Propster, I think the gas dripping may have been due to my motor being trimmed up so high, at least that is what I hope. Not going to know problems for awhile our local boat mechanics are 2 to 3 weeks behind so I will let you guys know what the issue was after it gets worked on. The sad part is I had a local fix it guy over to take a look and we were checking it out and the throttle cable broke so I have a lot of issues right now! I dont even know how to fix that so the mechanic isnt going to be happy when I bring it in. Makes it tough to troubleshoot the first issue when you cant accelerate the motor in a tank test to have the alarm go off.