• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunfish color preference

I took the kids out last night in search of sunfish. We fished for about 2 and a half hours and caught about 30 nice fish with a couple accidental bass in the mix. During the evening we experimented with color patterns with our plastics. White is usually my "go to" color and it did pretty good for Bailey earlier in the evening. I was switching around while Brooke kept sampling the snack bag. Later towards evening I went to a orange and chart tube and it started to put more fish in the boat. Has anyone had any better luck with a certain color? It was strange last night because the water is still fairly clear. All in all me and my helpers caught about 30 nice bluegills. We kept 8 that I cleaned and gave to my Grandparents on the way home. Then I had to have the discussion with the kids why we had to put back those big sunfish. They understand now, those big gills need to pass on some good genetics to preserve good fishing. And Dad doesn't want to clean so many fish smile.gif

Tips: Jighead-1/32 oz white
Tube jig-White or Orange Chart
Depth-4-8 feet

Good luck everyone.

Corey Bechtold

There is a small plastic called the "flick tail". They're not real well known around here much and can be hard to find. They are available thru mail order. They come in a couple sizes with the #2 about average. The orange body with the black head (1/32) is a hot little gem for sunnies in stained water and will take many fish each year from the Mississippi river backwaters near Kellogg, Mn.For me, I find about any color coupled with chartreuse good for my crappies and the sunfish that come with them occasionally.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
muckbootsonline.com Pro Staff
Culprit Tackle Crappie Pro Staff
[email protected]

if trying mainly for sunnies, my go to color is purple.( either in a tube or a mini mite) if after crappies then my first choice is char. , then white. after that i will start trying different colors to see what is hot for the day. lately i have using a 1/32 head with a size BB split shot next to the jig for more casting weight. but i stay with the lighter jig to keep the hook size at an # 10 or no bigger than a #8. so far this year we have been doing better just slowly reeling the jig back. also a plastic that has been working well , i buy at walmart. it is a small paddle tail type( rattle snake brand) del

Corey,
Send me the pics.

[try again, Matt! wink.gifwink.gif (u.j.)]

[done smile.gif]

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
Metro Area Ice Fishing, Team Catch-N, and more...

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 05-27-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 05-27-2004).]

You have pretty much summed it up,Corey, with the statement regarding lakes being different and then following with giving them what they want. It might not involve rockets but it is a science of sorts. Colors can change in minutes(as stated) when light conditions change or if wind changes the surface of the water. Often times the change is because of available food. The fish set the pace and it is the fisherman who has to adapt to their mood swings. What might be a go to color on your favorite lake may not do too well on your neighbors lake. Gotta be able to adapt.

------------------
[email protected]

Your kids caught some nice sunnies Corey!!! Looks like they were having a really good time. smile.gif

I use white and black ALOT, but for some reason I am always targeting Crappies with that.

Last year I caught an 11" Bluegill while freecasting a pink, yellow, and chartruese 1/32 feather jig. smile.gif (it still swims today...at least I hope it does)

Like Tom said, it is some sort of science, yet the variables are endless.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

Great Pics Cory, I agree color depends on the lake. I also believe that if a Sunny can get it into its mouth it will try and eat it. I have caught them on all kinds of strange things including a bare khale style hook with some red yarn on it.
P.S. Congrats on becoming ProStaff

[This message has been edited by 1Yogi (edited 05-28-2004).]

Its really hard not to like a blonde with freckles, especially if she can handle fish like that! Good job, Corey, on including the kids!

------------------
[email protected]