• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A question or two for Pro Crappie Guide

PCG:

I have tried posting some general lake info. for crappies/panfish @ both the Brainerd & Longville sites, but didn't get too much info.; guess I should have gone to the authority first. I am looking for a lake or two in the area between Breezy Point and Longville to take my girlfriend out and catch some crappies/bluegills. We will be staying @ my sister's cabin on Wabedo, and her folks live 2 blocks from Breezy Point, July 21 - 25.

I don't need you to tell me exact spots, just a lake where we can have enough chance at an evening crappie bite. My girlfriend is happier bobber fishing than jigging/trolling, so that is the presentation I will use, at least initially.

I do want to ask you about Mule and Blackwater specifically though. Do these two lakes have a decent crappie population?? Blackwater especially intrigues me, with its deep weedline and spots where deeper water cut into/near the weedline, spots I have had success finding a good evening crappie bite on other lakes.

Thank you for whatever info. you can provide. (I'm not looking for 2 limits of fish, just enough (6-10) for a good meal.)

eyes

Kego Lake, on the north side of cty 1 near Backus is a good Crappie lake. Fish on the west side of the island directly in front of the access in about 6-10 feet in the evening for Crappies.

Lindsay lake, north of Backus is excellent for bluegills and Crappies.. Fish the edge of cabbage.

Hattie lake is a good bet for Crappies, gills, and walleyes...But has a private landing..But if you would like, the resort, Tuck-A-Way is an excellent choice for camping or renting a cabin, and they will give you some good up to date info on what where and how the fishing is.

As for the lakes you inquired about, I don't know anything about them.

Hope I was of some help...If you need any directions, I'll be happy to help.

PCG

I would check Kego out. Not a lot of pressure but some impressive fish. Not just the crappies either, it has some dandy gills in. It did get hit pretty hard this winter, but the fishing has still been very good this summer.ScottS

Thanks PCG and Scott for the info. I would consider Kego, but the DNR HSOforum map didn't show an access, or an island, and it listed the nearest city as Longville. I would appreciate some directions on where the lake is, and how to get there from Wabedo, if you wouldn,t mind helping again...

eyes

Take it easy on Kego. It's small (200 acre lake) and as ScottS said, it got a lot of pressure this winter. It's been overharvested before and it took a long time for it to come back.

To get there from Breezy, take CTY RD 3 into and out of Crosslake -- it's kind of wierd but to stay on 3 you have to take a right turn just north of the Pine River bridge. Take CTY 3 to CTY 1 in Fifty Lakes (stop at the Fifty Lake's Municipal and have a drink) take a left (west) on CTY 1 go about 3/4 of a mile and take a right -- the road has a sign pointing to Kego and Golden Eaglesomething Golf Club. There is a public landing -- nothing fancy.

Like PCG said straight out in front of the access is a great place to start and move along the weedline. Bobber fishing will work but a more effective method may be to jig a 1/32nd Flu Flu w/ waxie or crappie minnow.

Good luck, and please don't hit it too hard.
Spike

With as Warm as it has been I would give the North Side of the Island a try as well as the Shoreline, North of the island.

I know someone who took part in the overharvest of that lake this winter. He did nothing illegal, just kept a limit everytime he went. Unfortunatly a limit is to many in that lake when you are talking about the size of fish it contains, both gills & crappies.ScottS