• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Payin' Dues

I'd like to be able to say that I always find what I'm looking for. That every trip I take results in a great photo. I've been very lucky over the years, but luck comes with paying your dues. I've spent hundreds of hours and have gone thousands of miles looking for the "perfect" shot of a hard to find subject. Once in awhile a great photo develops from off of my back deck. Other times I can spend a whole day, putting 200 miles or more on a vehicle, and not get a single usable shot. Thursday was one of those days.

I started by sitting a couple of dozen yards from a fox den. After about an hour I caught movement to my left. Dad had come home from the downwind side of the den, scented me and barked a warning to his family. He circled around behind me and barked for several minutes. Nothing going to happen here this morning. Time to move on.

Early orchids are blooming and I looked at Welby Smith's book and picked a suitable flower and knew of a spot that matched the description of habitat. On a hunch I parked the truck and hiked about two miles and spent a couple of hours searching, but with not a sniff of what I was looking for. Another two miles to the truck without a photo taken.

Finally, I met a friend near the site where the saw whet owl had been roosting in a cavity. Scratched the tree trunk, and, nothing. Whether out hunting or just not responding, hard to say. Spent near an hour hoping it would come back if it was out but it was not to be.

Paying dues. For every shot gotten, a lot of time and energy is expended. Sure, knowing the habitat and habits of your subject increase your chances, but there is never a guarantee. Those of us fortunate enough to be able to spend the time in the pursuit of the perfect photo, are just that - fortunate. While the image is our goal, spending time in the outdoors is a priceless second best.

Appropriately, this post is not accompanied by a photo. That's the way it happens many days. Hopefully the next trip will be more fruitful in regards to photography.

Nice article! I'm 0 for three on my last three Warbler outings. Did get to watch a pair of Canada's and the three goslings though. The outdoors always makes it worth it. Don't forget that carrying all that equipment helps keep you in shape!

Mike

I can relate, I spent Sunday from 8 a.m to 9 p.m scouting for images with not much to show for it. I stopped again and looked for the saw whet owl with no luck, drove a few hundred more additional miles and despite the lack of subjects it was still a good day!