• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

creeping bellflower

verg

I have creeping bellflower over taking my yard. It is very resistent to herbicides. I have not tried roundup yet but may try a small area to see its effectiveness. Has anyone delt with this weed?

I haven't dealt with bellflower eradication myself, but here's what the U of M Extension Service has to say on the subject:

Quote:
You might also consider using glyphosate (sold most often as Monsanto Roundup). Glyphosate is a non-selective herbicide that kills or damages any green, living plant tissue it contacts, so it must be used carefully. Mix some in a small container, then use a sponge to wipe or daub it directly onto the bellflower leaves, or use a small hand spray bottle to carefully spray it right onto the plant. Late spring (May and June) and early fall (September) are the best times of the year to use glyphosate. It should be applied when temperatures are in the 60-85 degree range, the wind is calm, and when no rain is expected for at least 24 hours. Repeat applications may be needed.

An alternative to spot treatment is to spray with a broadleaf herbicide containing triclopyr or a combination of 2,4-D and MCPP as its active ingredients. These herbicides must also be used with caution since they will kill or harm any broadleaved (non-grassy) vegetation that they contact.

You could mix the stuff up and then use a foam brush taped to a stick and just "paint" the stuff that you want to biff. You'll end up with some small areas you will need to replant but it won't be as bad as if you had used a sprayer.