• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rain Water collection and pumping ?

Moose

So last year I put in a 500 gallon rain water collection tank next to my house thinking I could just use gravity to run the water because if the pretty steep hill behind the house. Didn't work so well. So this year I am going to put a pump on the outlet of the tank. I would like to connect it to my irrigation and I'm wondering if the heads will plug up if a little dirt goes through the line? Also I would like to use it to run a hose to water plants. What is the best way to have the pump come on automatically when the irrigation comes on or the hose end is opened up?

Not sure I completely understand your set up... This sounds like one of those things where, like I'd need to be standing there with my tool box in my hand and a piece of paper to think things through...

BUT... When in doubt... I say put everything on electric timers!

Everything in my greenhouse runs off of $10.99 power strips with timers that I bought at Menards.

However I get the feeling that what you're trying to do here is more electrical draw than what a retail level power strip is meant to handle?

As for rain barrel irrigation... It's always going to feed like a "Drip" system. Even a steep hill is just going to give you an "Aggressive Trickle."

Nainoa, The pump is a standard sand point well pump or irrigation booster pump that runs off 120 voltage. I just need a way for the pump to kick on when the valve opens up. I know some irrigation timers have pump relays in them but that doesn't help for my hose end.