• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Ranger won't start

Trouthunter

Hey guys,

I bought a new Polaris Ranger 400 (non-EFI) this year and took it on my 2nd trail ride yesterday in the rain. We were headed down the Soo Line out of Isle towards Red Top. I was out with my neighbor who has a Ranger 700. As we went along, I splashed through a big puddle right before we made it to the entrance to Red Top, and my machine lost power and shut down right in the middle of the puddle. Couldn't get it to start after that. Had to have my buddy tow me back to Isle. Figured it needed to dry out, but this morning it still wouldnt start.

Any initial thoughts or suggestions on where to look? I've been through puddles and water before, and never had any issues.

The first thing i would do is check for spark. If you have no spark check the ignition coil for any types of cracks in the plastic and make sure the rubber boot is tight where the spark plug wire comes out of the coil. I've seen a few times where the ignition coil isn't completely sealed and lets water in. I think the coil on your 400 is under the seat near the battery and oil tank.

Thanks for the suggestions. Last night I tested the spark plugs and there is definetly spark, but I replaced it anyway as it was covered in oil, and replaced the air filter. I found I could get it to start without the air filter cover on, but as soon as that went tight it would kill. A little more investigation and some work with a shop vac determined there was about a gallon and a half of water in the air intake hose. The air intake is under the hood, and faces backwards, so splashing through deep puddles apparently would splash water up under the hood and into the intake - time for a snorkel or a new design.

BD