• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will I ever go spearfishing?

Well, I had got some stuff to go Spear fishing a year ago. Ended up I never went since I didn't have a saw to cut the hole open. So, when I was getting all of my ice fishing gear ready, and thought that I would get everything together for spearfishing, and make sure I had everything so i would go this year.

spears.jpg

IMG00122.jpg

Here is the saw I just bought

icesaw-display-size1.jpg

Good choice on the ice saw.

They are worth their weight!!!!

Don't worry about a jig stick.

Hook your decoy up to a rattle wheel and keep your hands free.

They have many diferent types of rattle wheels for different types of houses.

Here is one of my set ups for 2 decoys.

3163553299_aa137f55f6.jpg

In my other house I hook the rattle wheel up to my chair

3160795784_432a1405e3.jpg

You will need a set of tongs also if you want to take the ice block out of the hole. It is debated over what is best, take the ice block out or push it under.

I prefer to take it out and replace the block when I am done.

Always mark the hole with dead branches when you are done so someone does not get hurt.

I feel this is the safest and most respectful way of taking care of the hole for other fishermen on the ice.

What ever you do always mark your hole and always throw the large blocks of ice back in the hole so a snowmobile, ATV, or vehicle don't hit them.

I prefer the older tongs that are in good shape, you can find them on-line,at garage sales, auction sales, or flea markets.

Look for tongs that give you the ability to grab thin to thick pieces of ice. I have 2 sets myself one for thiner ice in the start of the season then I switch to the larger ones later in the season. They are fairly reasonable.

Some other things to think of when starting out are

1) a large bait net for scooping ice chunks out of the hole. A small shovel with holes in it, a darkhouse dipper, or a regular ice fishing dipper can be used also.

2) A decoy harness or pin for a live decoy.

3) A tape measure or bump board for measuring your fish. MN has one over X" limits on northern pike. You will need to know if your fish are over that threshold.

4) A current copy of the rule book, read and understand the rules as they apply to darkhouse spearers. DO NOT start out on slot limit lakes or lakes with muskies in them. Save these lake for when you feel 100% confident in your abilities to properly identify the species and length of northern pike in the hole. The consequences for making a mistake are very costly.

The biggest thing is go out and have a good time. Don't worry about taking every pike you see. Wait for the good shot and take it when you are ready. If a pike is moving to fast or won't come in the hole let him be, just enjoy the show. Be very patient and the right shot will present it self. When it does gently place the entire head of your spear fully underwater, aim just behind the gill plates, make your throw a quick smooth throw with no splash and you should be able to connect.

That is about it for now. I will post more as I think of it.