• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I love the water. My wife thinks I'm nuts for the $$ I spend and the time I'm away. She just doesn't get it. The only time she wants to go out, I have to pull her on skis.

I fish about 3 times per week. I wish she could understand, just a bit but it's always a fight for me to get out.

I WISH she liked fishing! What did it for you?

Thank you.

Hi SuddenlySummer, I wish I could give you a magic answer that would work and make your wife like to fish, but there isn't one. What does it for women is the same that does it for men. Its a love for the sport. Most fisherpeople were raised fishing from a child. Sure there are some that find it themselves when they get older, but I believe that a lot of us were just raised with it. I was any way.

Here is what you can do to try to get her interested. Take her out fishing to a spot where the pan fish are biting. Just consintrat on her catching fish. Don't plan on staying out to long when she gets tired of it go in. Then hope like heck she catches the bug.

Have her come on here and talk to us. Some of the best times my husband and I have together is fishing together and we have been married for 27 years now.

Lot and Lots of Luck <><Mary><>

Hi Suddenly Summer: I think Mary was right - my love of fishing came from my father. We spent a lot of time in the boat together and if I got tired of fishing I would always take a book along. But he would always pull me on the skis whenever I asked and I would always go fishing with him. That is part of the key - you said you "have" to pull her on the skis. So she skis and then goes fishing with you at least you are having time together. My husband and I showed horses together for years. When we got out of showing I wanted back into fishing so I purchased a boat. He decided if he wanted to spend time with me he better go along. But I always make sure he has plenty to eat and a paper to read. If the fish are not biting he likes to ride around in the boat so we do that. My girlfriend does not like to fish but goes with her husband every weekend. She takes a good book and suntan oil. Gets a good tan and catches up on her reading. Just sitting out on the lake on a nice day is so relaxing even if the fish are not biting. We spend one day when the fish were not biting watching some really good skiiers and we really had fun. Good luck!

SuddenlySummer-- I too could not get my wife of 22yrs., Scootz, to go along with me fishing. I did alot of fishing by myself when my dad or friends did not want to go. I always asked her first too. Well last winter we were at a friends cabin and I went out with my portable fish house to try for some crappies. When she came by to say hello, she realized how warm & comfortable it was out on the ice. In the summer, at times, Scootz would join me occasionally, reading a book & suntanning but not really wetting a line. Well to get to the point of how I think she is now hooked, we went to Red Lake over the long New Years 2002 week-end. I set up the portable house and got her two lines in the water. After 1 hour & 20 minutes, she had caught 14 beautiful crappies. I had not caught a single fish as I was tending to her every need- baiting her hook, removing caught fish, showing her jigging techniques, and also showing her how to detect the slightest bite. She was having the time of her life & she was beaming like I had only seen on our wedding night wink.gif That weekend we went home with 45 crappies! Scootz did catch her 30 fish limit. We also caught several walleyes which must be returned immediately to the lake because of special regulations there. She landed a 5+ lb. walleye on 4 lb test line which took her about 10 minutes to get in. I have the best picture of that moment! We are making our 3rd weekend trip up there today. Scootz has discovered a new "LOVE"-- fishing. I only hope it carries into the summer & by her remarks to her girlfiends it looks like it will. I guess the piont I'm trying to make is when you do get your wife out tend to her every need. Make it as enjoyable as possible. If you fish as much as I do, catching fish personally on these trips is not important, Scootz catching fish is. The last time up she was baiting her own hook & removing her caught fish & loving every minute of it grin.gif And the fishing on the last trip was very slow.. We caught very few & kept only 5 fish over two full days on the ice! Good luck & I hope you can get something / anything out of this short novel. LOL!

Later..... cool.gif Dugan!!!

Dugan, Great story sounds like you did the right things. You'll have a life fishing partner now. I really enjoy the time my husband and I spend fishing together. Good luck this weekend. Tell Scootz she is welcome to come visit us here any time.
<><Mary><>

JD, I think it's great you're wife has become interested in fishing. I hope you won't be offended if I point something out. The only reason I'm doing it is because it could save you some trouble in the future. You mentioned a 30 fish limit and taking home 45 crappies for you and your wife. The crappie limit is 15 in Minnesota. I apologize if I misread or missed something when I read your post but sometimes people are confused about daily and possession limits which are the same.

Y-Bone-- After rereading my post I feel I should clear up a few misleading facts. I was trying to hurry with the post and also trying to keep it short. You probably can tell I'm really excited because my wife has been getting into fishing more than I ever imagined. And it keeps getting better!!!!!!

In an earlier post I wrote--
**<SNIP>"That weekend we went home with 45 crappies! Scootz did catch her 30 fish limit."<SNIP>**
I guess I neglected the fact that there was another couple with us in their own portable house. Thus making it perfectly legal as far as the 45 crappies that WE took home limit was concerned.
Then to clarify the "30 fish limit".. We fished for 2 days.. 15 is the daily limit.. She caught 30 fish over the two days thus "Caught her 30 fish limit"..Played catch & release..Can't keep them all you know.. & yes Y-Bone the wording did look like you thought. I'll be more careful next time & take my time to reread wink.gif

Satisfied-- OK??

I take seriously the MN game & fish laws & would turn in a POACHER" mad.gif in a New York minute.. Trust me..

A quick report on this weekend & update how far this "new found love" for Scootz has come along for me and my sweetie--

We got set up & starting fishing by 12:45pm on Sat. Caught several small perch and a few small walleyes. Looks like the walleye restoration project is doing great 'cause the walleyes that we caught & RELEASED were in the 7"- 9"range.. **Cute little buggers** smile.gif Scootz caught the first 3 crappies in a matter of minutes at around 6:45. We left the lake with 10 crappies at 9:00pm. I was outfished by "the best partner I ever had" 9-1 tongue.gif Scootz also learned yesterday that the crappies can not bite her with their teeth 'cause they don't have them like the walleyes & northern do. After catching each crappie, she grabbed them by the lower lip and removed the embedded hook. I know I was the one with the big ear to ear grin after watching her do this! Man.. how far our "fishing experience" has come in such a short time. grin.gif We got up early this morning and caught, between us, 8 more crappies. Total take home for Scootz & I.. 18 crappies. The weather was good, not too cold, AWESOME sunset, fishing was slow by most standards, and the crowd was huge. I could not believe how many people were fishing this weekend at Upper Red Lake. And most importantly.. We had a GREAT time! Well I have to go clean up those crappies for supper.... Now if I could only get Scootz to clean the fish shocked.gif .......... I won't push that subject! I'll clean... Scootz can catch! grin.gif

See you all later... Good luck in everything you do----

Later..... cool.gif Dugan!!!