• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ordering my new arrows/ questions/problems

USPENAMC

hi guys im a newbie only my second year with a bow.

last year i shot the arrows that I bought with my used bow I shoot very good tight groups even at 40 yars i shoot real good. this is my setup

60 pound bow

25 inch long arrows (I cut them to this size to fit me)

beman ics hunter 340 9.3gpi

last year i shot my first deer/first shot at a deer 40 yards went right through 40 yard recovery.

I tell you all this because here come my questions. i just went to order new arrows and it says i should be using

500 7.3 GPI but im afraid if I order those i will have to re sight in so close to the season and am afraid of any radical changes that might go on. the reason im getting new arrows is because ive been shooting such close groups ive been tearing the fletchings off the arrows.

now should i keep what im shooting since im having everything work perfect for me or should i order the recommended ones.

my next question is on the fletchings Im using the standard fletching but since im a novice dont know what they are called or what. they are straight and almost 4 inhes long

where im trying to order it asks me the following options dont know what to ask for

duravanes low profile 4 inch (standard)

bohning 4 inch killer (standard)

duravanes 4 inch (Standard)

thanks for any info you can give me and any guidance. im thinking of ordering the exact thing i have this season and after its over change to the proper ones and then re sight in for the next season

if you change arrows you will have to re-sight in...HOwever, we are still a couple weeks till season, and you should be able to re-sight in and it should only take about an hour to re sight in out to 40 yards again.. .heck 20 mins you could be good to go.

Fletching is personal preference... But should all be the same.

as for which shaft to shoot. I used the spine selector on the beaman web page.. the arrows you are shooting now are WAY overspined.. WAY!!!! it says that arrow for your arrow length should be shooting almost 90 lbs. the 500's would work better. But you may have to re-tune your bow. Your bow may be out of tune now to compensate for the over spined arrows.. or maybe you wont. at a minimum, you will have to re-sight though.

thats where i looked i actually am ordering the same BEMAN ICS HUNTER ARROWS so here is what i should be ordering

500 0.500 ICS Hunter Elite, ICS Hunter & Bowhunter 7.3

here is what i currently have i think ill make the change ill order today see when i get them i live here in eden prairie so its close by to a few ranges should be no problem to sight in real quick

340 0.340 ICS Hunter Elite, ICS Hunter & Bowhunter 9.3

I would go to an archery pro shop and let them hook you up with some arrows that will fit you and your equipment perfectly. Then if there are any tuning issues because of shooting the lighter arrows they can also take care of that at the same time. Believe me, money well spent.

Good luck!

Just a tip. I always seem to be on the edge as to which weight of arrow to buy for my setup. Always pick the heavier arrow.

How are your arrows flying? If they are flying straight and not whipping use what you have and change next year. Although if your bow is in tune it shouldn't take long to get it sighted in with new arrows. Then all you have to do is broadhead tune and you are ready to roll. GOOD LUCK!

What is your exact draw weight and draw length?

On second thought it would be best if you just went to a pro shop. Have them help you pick out the right arrows. They'll cut them to length and glue the inserts in. While you're there have them tune your bow. Probably cost you $15-$20 but it will be much easier to get dialed in afterward.

well im thinking of sticking with what i have cause they are shooting perfect out to the 40 yard i have them. like i said the reason for getting new arrows is because im shooting such tight groups that im ripping the fletchings off of them they are so close.

im shooting 25 inch long arrows at 60 pounds im shootine easton ics hunters in 340 grains. they ZOOOM. i have that little thing that lets you put your arrows a bit farther back so you can make them shorter and faster. so i might be like a 26 inch pull in reality but with that extender thingy i shoot 25 inch arrows. mine are cut to size and everything is tuned perfectly. I think ill keep using them this season maybe next ill look into getting something different. dont want to do any drastical changes.

You are always better off shooting a heavier arrow than recommended because then there is no chance of wrecking your bow and also when your arrow gets out there it has more kenetic energy. The other nice thing is you end up with a bigger pin gap which is nice to have at low light periods.

If you want I would be willing to refletch your arrows for you I live a half hour west of you drop me an email and I will give you the details. email is by my signature

GOLDTIP, and EVERYONE ELSE, that has replied to this concern of mine thanks for your help. LIKE ALWAYS.

GOLDTIP first im going to look for some videos on VIDEO SITES and other hunting places to learn how to fletch. I think it would be good for me to learn anyways and will keep my mind busy with other things than DEER. The fever is coming on day by day. I will contact you with any problems i find when im trying this for the first time. I appreciate it very much. If i do find it harder than i thought I would like for you to show me how to FLETCH one of my arrows so I can learn.

Hey man, it's alot easier than you think it would be the jig pretty much does it all for you. But be careful of what vanes you buy that is the biggest thing to remember and I would suggest using duravanes by Norway they go on really nice. Oh ya I use goat tuff glue for this and my inserts and have never had a problem Just dont use too much or your fletchings will stick to the clamp and then you got problems.