Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pheasantsforme

New Iron Question

7 posts in this topic

I am looking at getting a new set of irons. I'm currently in college but am picking up golf and decided i want to invest some more in the sport. Does anyone have any suggestions- what store I should go to? what brands i should look at?

I don't typically spend much on myself, being in college and all... but want to get a great value as these will be with me for a looong time. Thanks!

You will probably here this alot when it comes to buying golf equipment. hsolist is the way to shop when it comes to golf clubs. I bought my irons, woods, driver, wedges and putter seperately on hsolist. If I would have bought them at golfsmith or the golf warehouse it would have cost me over $1700. I spent less than half that for top notch clubs.

Go to Golfsmith. the one off 62 in Edina has a great used rack. That way you get to hit them first and pay no shipping. I am a low handicapper who only plays used equipment. I got Hogan apex plus irons there for $160. for people just picking up golf, it is a myth that expensive equipment will help your game. Perhaps really junky clubs would hurt, but expensive gear helps little. Hitting thousands of balls and hours of short game practice is what helps.

Sorry for being preachy.

Good golf equipment doesn't have to be expensive. Hitting 1000s of ball with with cheap clubs that aren't designed for beginners won't help much either. I spent alot of time hitting hand me down cheap clubs and the only thing it helped was that I learned to scramble and play my weaknesses. It's hard to learn on old forged clubs when you have a slice swing and no coach. wink Buy some nice(not necessarily expensive) cavity back irons and work on your game and you can get to be a good local player. I used old forged clubs and short cavity back irons for 15 years until I ordered some custom clubs built for me. It didn't take long and I was down to a 2.3 handicap. The old clubs taught me how to scramble and the new clubs helped me learn how to play.

Buy a decent putter and practice your short game. It will save you more strokes than any set of irons

Buy a decent putter and practice your short game. It will save you more strokes than any set of irons

I agree, but you still need to keep it in the fairway. Army golf can do just as much damage as a [PoorWordUsage] short game. Most cavity back clubs are stupid easy to hit. See if you can find yourself a good used set of Taylor Made rac os2.

find yourself a good golf shop. they should let you hit the used clubs, and you will be able to feel what's best for you.