• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

dew claws

marksullivan

Its best to take them off at 3 days...There is no real good reason to keep them on the dog. A torn dew claw is very very painful for a dog and is bound to happen to a hunting dog at some point. Can require surgery after torn and unnesseary expenses to whoever purchases a dog from you. I vote removal!

I don't know if I will set you straight but with two labs(one large, one small) and not having them removed I have not had any problems. We have pheasant hunted in central Minnesota and we live in north east Minnesota where we hunt grouse often, never had a problem.

We had a litter of pups in November. We didn't have it done on them. I guess I am not for having anything done that isn't necessary.

I would be willing to bet you would probably hear an equal amount of arguments for and against.

The whole dew claw removal thing may be on a slow road to extinction (much the same as tail docking). There have been many studies done to show that there truly is a use for them and that their removal is not warranted for fear of injury. It is rare for a dog to tear a dew claw....

Wolves and coyotes have there's intact and you'd be hardpressed to find one with a torn dew claw.

To date I remove them not because of my belief in the necessity to remove them, but rather the publics perception that they need to be removed. As it becomes more accepted to leave them on, I will quit removing them.

They should be removed on days 3-5 if you want to proceed. They do heal up rather quickly, and are generally no worse for the wear within 12 hours.

Good Luck!

Ken

There is opinions both ways here, Peope do like to buy them with them done. I have seen the injurys that can ocur with leaving them, yes you may never have it happen but when it does it is way more painfull of a repair to an older dog. Plus the bill. Pups can be done at a vet eaisly and very quick, much cheaper than later with a problem, I think it is a no brainer to do it . We used to run coon dogs and always had tears on the dogs that never had them done. I have never had a problem with a dog that has had them removed propery. Just my experiance. Our vet has them done from 2- 4 days old.

My dog had to have one of hers removed at about age 2. One was missed as a puppy, and the vet did it for free becasue they missed it, i was suprised to find the extent of having it removed as an older dog. Full on surgury, and a 2" cut, few stiches later. Its a bear trying to keep the bandage on without them chewing it up. I'd vote for having them off as pups, alot less painful, time and money consuming.

When days old dews just pinch off. Easier than cropping tails. That said ALL my Sibs (sleddogs) and Springers have their dews, never been a problem. While I have had digits removed that are prone to breaking or my old lead had two extra toes I had taken off, I see no need to remove the dews. The Springers head right for cattails and the Sibs break ice and wind blow trail all winter, still never a dew issue.

Are those adamant about removing dews also still cropping ears? Haven't heard anyone do that in years. Show doesn't match the field (though I know a musher who runs and wins shows with the same dogs, very rare.)

I have heard of many dogs ripping there dew claws off and one case where the dog almost lost its life because of it. It might not happen to your dog, but with as easy as it is when they are days old I just think it might as well be done. The only real benefit to dew claws is helping them climb steeper embankments(s.p.). It is probably not heard of that much since most dogs have them removed.

Point taken.

Lots of odd injuries happen to dogs. One Springer took a 10" stick low in a rear leg. It pushed way up into his thigh and the dog never slowed down. The vet pulled it out a couple days later after it fluid began to build. Same dogs ripped its neck open nearly ear to ear, still he's fine. Yeah, he's seems a bit accident prone.

My point is, watch your dogs, learn how to read their behavior, inspect them often and don't hesitate to pull a dog from the field (or tugline.) Some people have a real hard time leaving a dog home or in the truck when they should. We run multiple dogs so dropping one is no big deal, except to the dog. Also, keep a medical kit in the truck. I've stitched dogs right in the field, carry it with you along with lots of water.