• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to determine correct size tip to buy?

I need a new tip (old broke off a couple inches) on my Shimano Crucial CRC-70ML. How do I determine what size I need when I go to pick one up?

Just measure with a caliper? Do i need to include some adder to the size?

Also, I have never searched for replacements in a store. How do they advertise their sizes(i.e. standard, metric)?

Originally Posted By: priorbass
Use caliper and measure in MM...or bring to the Midwest rod and reel shop in Prior Lake and we can size for you and sell you the tip or just put one on for a fee.

Thanks. Im up in Anoka so Prior Lake is quite a drive. Anyone know if Thorne Bros off of University be able to get me a tip? They are right next to my work.

Tiger, many bait stores carry a box of various tip tops as well. In your situation you can get it fixed before opener since time is on your side. I just offer that in case you or any readers are on the road and this happens. It is nice to know that a few minutes and couple bucks and you're back in biz by stopping to a bait shop.

With a rod shop, your going to get a close if not exact replacement so it "looks" good too.

If this rod is one of your favorites, ask whomever does it to use some 5 minute epoxy or rod bond as the adhesive. My experiences with the glue stick type fixes where you use a lighter, melt, apply, and attach the top have not the best. It solidifies just too quickly. You got to cut shavings and stuff into the top heat it up, melt it, heat the glue stick up and melt it agains the rod, keep them both soft, slide the top on, blah blah blah. Just my .02 worth but the glue stick can be a 3 alarm fire event of frustration...

I bounced back and forth here in thie reply- sorry. Watching the Wild as I type.

Good luck