• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heat Pump Question

JacobMHD

I purchased my house awhile back that has a heat pump instead of a AC unit and I am just realizing that I could have used the heat pump to help heat the house this past winter. I will admit to ignorance, I thought a heat pump was an alternative to an AC unit, not a dual purpose unit for both winter and summer. The problem is I don't know how to use it in the winter for heat. I realize this is a vague question but I'm not sure what specifics are needed so any help would be greatly appreciated.

there are a couple different ways they can be utilized since it was in the house the first thing to check is to make sure it is set up to do both on the unit and it has an adequate thermostat capable for it. The second thing is make sure, my uncles as a dual setting on his that needs to be switched for the purpose.

what the previous post said is true. However an air to air heat exchanger is not very practical in minnesota. once the outside temp drops below 30 deg's it doesnt do anything. then you have to go to a back up heat source, usually a gas or in rare occasions a electric furnace. In a warmer climate they are not a bad set-up...Just not real great here in Minnesota.

heat pumps can be used to help heat your house to about 20 degrees or 30 degrees depending on how efficient it is and how it is hooked up. They make a control box that any heating contractor can hook up that will allow the heat pump to work until it won't catch up with sufficient heat, say 30-90 minutes or below a certain temp and then automatically switch to the gas furnace. It also allows you to qualify for lower electricity rates to the heat pump, typically about 40 percent off with dual fuel rates. Currently putting one in my house. Hope this helps

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I installed a Rite Temp programmable t-stat last fall. It was designed for use with a heat pump. The previous owners were an older couple that wintered in Arizona, so they probably didn't use it during the dead of winter.

I will probably call the company that installed it and have them come to the house for a tune up and also to get a tutorial on how it is supposed to work. I might as well get some benefit from it since there is a short window of consistent above 30 degree weather here.