• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who needs Red Lake???????????

Shack

I would agree with the shoulders on a Red lake crappie. I have had some wonderful crappie action on some southern Minnesota lakes but it does not compare to my trips to Red. Many eyes,trophy northerns and the largest, hardest fighting crappies I personally have caught anywhere. Yes, one really has to work for them but when found,game on.

Why go to Red?????

slabfest2008017sp9.jpg

I've had a really special place in my heart for ice fishing Upper Red Lake since that first trip in the late 90s. I now have a permanent sleeper ice shack up there for the last 3 years and URL has still always been about the crappies for me, even through the last few years.

The last 2 years have been tough fishing. We've caught crappies on every trip but that has not come from a lack of effort. Its taken some work!!! Hate to say it... I'm seriously winding down from that lake. Every trip I know is going to be a battle and this year has been especially bad when you can't accidentally catch an 'eye anymore while fishing for crappies... Lake Trout fishing for crappies as I refer to it.

The image of Hanson and Dtro above, is truly one of the best photo’s I have seen of crappies, bar-none. These guys are some of the best fisherman I know.

The sun, the smiles and the fish to boot.

Makes a man regret not going to Slab fest.

this is one of the reasons i signed up was to respond to the question of telling anyone about this . my opinion is NO!

experience from the past is word gets out fast and lake will be very crowded real fast . i have seen where there were only 5 of us on a lake in a weekend and my dad and i told no one including family , and 3 weeks later on a thursday there were 200 people on the lake . great catches for you though !