• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Falls Motel - Rainy Lake

Summer,winter,fall,and spring.RAINY LAKE is the finest fishery in the state.Walleye's,pike,bass, we got them all!

The Rainy river is a true trophy class walleye mecca, the spring thaw is right around the corner.

The sturgeon season is coming,if you have not tangled with one of these prehistoric fish you dont know what you are missing.6' long fish that fight hard!

The Falls Motel is a clean comfortable an affordable motel that caters to the fisherman. We are not on the water and do not charge lake view prices. http://www.fallsmotel.org or call 1-800-328-8435 Full time guide on premises will take you out or point you in the right direction.

Heading out on Rainy Lake this weekend , we are going to target walleye, and large pike. The brutal cold snap has finally broke, so the fishing should really pick up. We are going to target 34 - 36 ' humps surrounded by deep water. We will be traveling by sled. I will post the results on Monday.

http://www.fallsmotel.org

Well the walleye bite was very good,we each got a limit of good eaters . No real big ones, released a 25 incher,we had are best luck in 38' of water ,pink 1/8 once jighead with a minnow,The pike were not there and did not get any of size.

Sunday we went to the north arm of Rainy on the canada size and got some beatiful crappies 12 - 14 inches ,they were in 34'of water,we had to sort out the smaller ones,change up baits quite a bit,big to small. The weather was great.

Heading down to Ash lake today.

Kelly http://www.fallsmotel.org

The bite was good , we had to sort though the little one's,Crappies ran about 10 inches, and smaller ended up keeping 7,Bluegills where also biting kept 3 nice ones, we ran into some real nice perch. The best bite was in 22 feet of water, we moved around alot.The access is in good shape, we used sleds, there no plowed road on the lake , and the snow is pretty deep.Did not try any minnows just wax worms.

Heading out on Thursday not sure where yet,I will keep you posted. Any requests?

Kelly

We went out of Labelle's,there is a road out from there, $10 user fee.There is quit abite of snow on the ice ,a sled would be recommended, You will need to move around.along with the crappies there is also a great tullibe bite going on up there,great for the smoker and a blast to catch they average 3 to 4 lbs. Good Luck

No walleye's,did get a few nice pike though,we are heading back there tommorow. The ice is roughly 2 ft thick, we did not need extensions.

Went out on Rainy lake today,east sandbay area. the fishing was really slow.we moved around alot ,targeting eye's just couldnt get anything to go. Lots of snow on ice , but it is packed pretty hard.

Kelly

Went to the north arm on Rainy yesterday, was able to get a limit of nice crappies,had to work for them,fished at a new place it took a couple of hours before we found them .They where very touchy would not take a full minnow had to tip my ratso jig with just a head.(34' seems to be the magic depth.)We had 3" of snow last nite real fluffy shouldn't hurt anything.

Hi Hammer ,I guide for any species that swims . To answer you question winter seems to have the steady bite , they are easier to find as they are more consintrated. The spring bite depends on the weather, it really hard to nail down a certain time. The Fall can be real good , as they are moving into their winter haunts.If i had to pick it would be in the winter.I do have other lakes fairly close that i catch nice crappies on in the spring.Mostly an evening bite.The canada side is better for crappie in the winter on Rainy.

Do you know why they aren't plowing it anymore? I assume the ice is still in good shape, is there just to much snow to keep up with it? Thanks for the info.

The guy who was plowing the road last year decided not to do it this year. There never was a plowed road this year but trucks drove out and kept a one lane road open just from driving on it.I drove out last THURSDAY and did not have any trouble,we have had a little snow since then,so i do not know what it is like now.The $10 userfee is for crossing private property to get to the ice.