• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fly Fishing Equipment

BigYims

I know this is out of season but i am looking at purchasing a fly fishing rod/reel setup for the upcoming fishing year and was looking for some input. I will be doing both river and lake fishing and am new to fly fishing. Anyone have any input on good equipment for beginners?

Big yimms. we have a few very smart dudes in the fly section of this site. They are awesome!... I would ask this question there.. Be sure to point out that you will be fishing bass with it.

I have a 6 wt, its a little on the light side I would think.. but its still a blast!!!

FishingMinnesota Fly Fishing Forum.

one thing to consider when deciding what size fly rod to purchase is : just like conventional tackle there is no one rod for everything (example you wouldn't take a 5'6"ultra light rod rated for 2-6 # test musky fishing. or a 5'6" extra heavy jerkbait rod rated for 25-50 #test crappie fishing. balanceing your outfit becomes evan more important when putting togehter a fly fishing outfit for instance if you take a 3/4 oz. spinnerbait and tie it to a ultralight out fit it will likely cast like a rocket because the lure is way heavier than the line but like wise you will probally not be able to cast a flu-flu jig on 25 # test

the weight of line is what your casting 4-5 wieght rods are ideal for casting small trout fly streamers and small poppers 6 weight rods a ideal for larger streamers small poppers small hair bugs as well as a western trout rod where wind may be a factor. sevan weight rods are ideal for smallmouth bass poppers LIGHT STEELHEAD+SALMON, 8-9 WEIGTH RODS ARE THE IDEAL BASS BUG OR BIG FLY ROD AS WELL AS WELL SUITED FOR STEELHEAD AND SALMON + PIKE

WITH BEING SAID IN MY OPINION A 6 WIEGHT ROD IS MUCH LIKE THAT OF A MED LIGHT ACTION SPINNING OUT FIT ITS ALMOST TO HEAVY FOR PANFISH BUT STILL TO LIGHT FOR THE PROPER CASTING OF A DEER HAIR BASS BUG. WHAT EVER YOUR CHOICE KEEP THIS IN MIND YOUR ROD IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE LINE IT CASTS. IF YOU PURCHASE A 600.00 SAGE AND PUT A NO NAME ELCHEAPO LINE ON IT DON'T EXPECT PERFORMANCE.A GOOD LINE WILL RUN YOU 50 BUCKS OR MORE.IM GOING TO STOP NOW BECAUSE I FEEL I COULD GO ON BABBELING FOR HOURS & HOURS.BETTER YET DON'T LISTEN TO ME GOOGLE AFTMA GIUDELINES & STANDARDSAND THAT SHOULD ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE grin.gif