• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lake john

You shouldn't have problem with the two wheel drive unless it snows and starts blowing. Where we parked you only needed two wheel drive.

I too will be heading up there again this weekend. Bringing the girls this time. Let them land a few 3-4 pounders. Maybe see you up there. Hoping the weather will be as good as last weekend.

Juker, you should have no problem, unless they get a whole bunch of snow this week. Just stay in the main areas and you'll be just fine. They plow the main road going in so it'll be fine. Me getting stuck was just my own stupidity, trying to go somewhere I shouldn't of.

No that wasn't me that Bill helped out. (He was to busy fishing!) It was another group of guys, all the way on the south end.

Man, those fish there sure do get huge! Many people don't believe me when I say a 17-19 inch trout can go 3 or 4 lbs. the 16.5 incher my daughter caught, had a larger girth than length. Some tasty fillets that's for sure, and I'm not much of a trout fan. Give me walleyes or perch any time. wink.gif

John

I had used a two wheel drive vehicle to get in and out of Lake John for years...the road up to the resort can is a little steep and can be icy but you usually can get up there in a two wheel drive with a running start...the rest of the area around the lake is pretty level...make sure you say hi to Bill even if he is a misguided Detroit Red Wing fan...and Trish makes really great breakfast burritoes at the restaurant...one thing I wanted to mention here...they have an annual fishing derby there on January 8th and 9th...which can be pretty fun...I have been going for the past 20 years or so and have stayed at the resort many times...definately beats sleeping on the ice!...also have stayed many times at the Westside Motel in Walden...the lady who owns it is real sweetheart (her name escapes me)...it is a pretty fun time...there is also a contest at South and East Delaney Buttes Lakes on February 12th this year...not sure why they removed North from the group this year...probably protecting the brown trout fishery...I know a lot of people used bait or tube jigs under the 1.5 inch minimum length...they were probably worried about mortality rates...but it can be a pretty good time and if you are interested in further information you can contact the North Park Chamber of Commerce at 970-723-4600...they could also help you with accomodations in the area...I am not affiliated with them in any way...but I have been going up there since the beginning...and it is a good time and a great fishery...

Did pretty good up at Lake John this past weekend. Saturday was a complete huricane! The winds were unreal and almost broke the shack in half. The girls went for a ride after the Ice scews I had securing the shack bent.

Needless to say the girls lost some very nice fish but we got some decent ones too. My youngest had one on somewhere in the 6-8 pound range. The fish was 22-24 inches. She lost it and then it went to the other hole and just staired at my other daughters jig but he knew better.

Sunday was slower but very calm. We ended up getting a dozen or so fish and called it a day at 11:00. The bite up there seems to be real early and then kind of fizzles out.

Went to East Delaney and it was pretty good there in the afternoon. Almost no pressure on those lakes.

Maybe looking for a different trip this weekend.

Still waiting for Gross to freeze but it looks quite bad with this weeks weather.

Good report Chad. Heading to John on Saturday with a couple of co-workers. One female who has never ice fished before. can't wait to watch her fight one of those "fat bows" on a 24" rod with 4lb line! That will be worth the long drive. The weather report so far looks promising.

Hey Behmer, It is approx. 150 miles to Walden from Thornton. I have gone both I-70 west to 40 and over Berthoud and I-25 to 287 through Laramie. Either way it is about 3.5 hours. The I-70 drive is good, but if you hit the ski traffic coming back, it can really be slow. If you want to go sometime, let me know. I am alwys free on the weekends.