• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First open water rod

So it has taken a while to get this thing started, but I did some work on the handle for my first custom open water rod. I am building a St. Croix SCV 6'-0" UL F 2pc rod. The handle is made from Cyprus from the family farm down in Arkansas on the Bayou Meto. I turned it on the lathe in my neighbor's garage. I got a feeling I will be doing a bit more of this stuff, cause it is a lot of fun. This particular handle broke on the lathe as I was sanding the arbors to fit inside the seat, there was a knot dead center between the two pieces I was going to cut.

9894807876_6f69269d0e.jpg

I finished trimming it down with some exacto knives and then drilled it out for the blank. I cut it to size and tried it out. I will need to build up a bit under the back of the reel seat as I drilled a bit too big. I have some nice satin aluminum winding checks to go front and rear of each piece of the handle. I am thinking about maybe wrapping between each of the handle components, still have to make that decision.

9894919243_ee5a9347ac.jpg

It still needs some finish sanding and then a protective finish, but I am still unsure of what to use for that. I have a set of Microwave guides that I will be wrapping onto this rod, hoping the hype of cast distance improvements is realized. Considering this rod will be used to pitch jigs from 3/16 down to about 1/64, and help will be appreciated. Looking forward to putting the bend in it.

I have some Hickory and Cherry to turn into handles as well. This might turn into some furious addiction. Pray for my wife.