• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

why not?

Ryan_V

I see in O.N. that they are looking at opening up the bowfishing season early IF you are in a boat and on a lake or the Mississippi, Minnesota, or st. croix river. why won't they just open it up for everyone like me that shoots in creeks close to home because I don't have access to a boat? just seems silly. we need to get rid of carp, why not just open it up?

why not just open it up?

to protect native suckers during the spring run is my guess, they are already susceptible to overfishing and snagging. The tributaries that won't be open don't hold lots of suckers year round, but will have big runs in April.

to protect native suckers during the spring run is my guess, they are already susceptible to overfishing and snagging. The tributaries that won't be open don't hold lots of suckers year round, but will have big runs in April.

Like said it's about the game fish grin

It is to protect against accidentally shooting gamefish during the spawn. It might sound like a silly idea to you and me, but the state's major bowfishing association is working hard with the DNR and legislators to liberalize bowfishing regulations, but concessions have to be made to keep lawmakers happy. If bowfishers can show that they are responsible with the laws that are in the place, the association can take that to the legislature and continue to liberalize the rules.

it's almost discrimination. someone from a boat could just as easily hit a game fish as someone shooting in a culvert. it goes down to knowing your target and what's behind it, just like with firearms. oh well. guess I'll have to wait until May first!

it's almost discrimination. someone from a boat could just as easily hit a game fish as someone shooting in a culvert. it goes down to knowing your target and what's behind it, just like with firearms. oh well. guess I'll have to wait until May first!

I agree with you. The May 1st opener is simply an arbitrary date anyway, we still see lots of gamefish in shallow (usually northerns) when shooting at night after the bowfishing season opens. It's just the way the game is played at the capitol. If we follow the rules, we can get the rules changed in our favor. From what I've heard, part of the restriction on shooting from shore has to do with shoreline shooters being more likely to leave carcasses dumped on shore. Shooters in boats bring barrels and are more likely to pack their rough fish out with them. If we stay on the good side of the DNR, they allow us more leeway. They want to work with us, it's in everyone favor to remove carp.