• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat project - 3 benches to flat floor

lotsofish

I rebuilt my 1973 Lund S16 (or similar - not exactly sure on the model) last year. I thought I would share the pictures in case anyone is thinking about doing the same thing, maybe it will give them ideas. smile

When I got the boat about 6 years ago, I carpeted the floors, sides, and seats. This was a mistake. With the carpet directly on the floor, any water that got in the boat soaked into the carpet and it didn't last that long. Also, NEVER put carpet glue on anything you might want to get it off of later. It took me a couple weeks with a drill and wire brushes to get it all off.

I cut out the middle seat to create a flat middle section. I left about 2-3 inches to attach some angle aluminum to for support. I used some 2x4's cut and glued to the bottom of the boat for support as well.

I cut the front seat down halfway to create a front platform. This has foam insulation in it to replace what I lost when removing the bench seats.

I left about 10 inches on each side of the seats and did bench seats down both sides. Originally I thought about adding storage or a livewell in these, but with the curvature of the boat, there wasn't enough space, so I put foam insulation in there too.

The sides of the boat I used sandable primer, then painted with black undercoating paint. This paint has rubber in it. It doesn't have a rubber feel, but it seems to be a little more sturdy than just regular paint.

I used regular construction lumber and BCX plywood. I gave everything 3 coats of waterproofer. I think the carpet glue probably helps with the waterproofing as well. The carpet is outdoor carpet.

Here is a link to a gallery with pictures along the way.

I added permanently mounted nav lights, and LED lights inside the boat. Two switches next to the fish finder control those lights.

Looks great. I did a project like this some time ago. I converted an 18 ft side console Lund with bench seats into a center console with a flat floor. I know some of the challenges you faced. I like how you did a few things in yours. It would have been alot easier to do it the way you did with a tiller. Very nice work, looks awesome.

Hey thanks guys. Before I started the project, there were 2 or 3 other projects people posted on this site that gave me some inspiration, so I thought I would share what I did so I could pass that along to someone else thinking about doing the same thing.

Nice job on the boat, very clean and looks like it was done by a pro! Always nice to do some work yourself and have a nice "new" boat to enjoy for a few seasons. I'm in the process of finishing a 14' Alumacraft right now, I will shoot some pics up when I'm done also as your remod and others I've seen were all very helpful to me. Great Job.