• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

91 Merc 20hp

mroyten

First ever engine issues with this baby, was out today and running around and had it in gear and she died. Tried pull starting it several times, no go. Replaced the spark plugs, still nothing. After about 20 min later gave it a pull and started for about 5 seconds and died. Any ideas I should consider resolving this? Thanks in advance.

Spark, fuel and compression.

Just like 'pout said, check for spark 1st since its the easiest and can be ruled out.

Spray a little gas or carb cleaner through the throat of the carb to see if it fires, if if does, its fuel related and that could be several different things.

Not to sound silly but, enough gas in the tank?

Tank vent open?

Both ends of the fuel line firmly pushed on and locked into place?

Didn't touch the engine for 1.5days and gave her a pull, started first pull and died after 17 seconds. No choke or priming the bulb necessary, which usually do to start her up. Hmm..............???????

Gas is full

Spark, fuel and compression.

Just like 'pout said, check for spark 1st since its the easiest and can be ruled out.

Spray a little gas or carb cleaner through the throat of the carb to see if it fires, if if does, its fuel related and that could be several different things.

Not to sound silly but, enough gas in the tank?

Tank vent open?

Both ends of the fuel line firmly pushed on and locked into place?

You've got step one done above (enough gas in the tank). How about the rest?

marine_man

Assuming tank is full and vent is open. Take the cowl off. Is the fuel bowl/filter filling with gas or does it drain down when you run it? Any cracks in the gas line from the tank or fuel lines that hook up to the fuel filter?

Thanks for the input guys, its fixed. Took all of the fuel relate precautions before digging deeper (made sure gas was full and changed it, inspected all fuel lines, new fuel filter, fuel pump changed) and made sure I had spark. None of the prior had resolved this. Enter the father in-law and he tore into the carb and we found a spec of gravel on the tip of the needle, not allowing the needle to close completely when the float rose. Removed that and presto bango, she runs! I feel good ahhh... smile

THE SAGA CONTINUES!!!!!!!!!

I waved the victory flag too soon... brought her out on the water started up no problem, idling like a champ. Put it into gear got going a bit and it lost power and died. Started up again put into gear but now dies whenever I go faster than trolling speeds. Hmm....

I did check the fuel filter and found some a bit of gravel like I found on the needle before, this is interesting because I this is a new filter. Now I'm thinking the culprit is the tank and fuel line. Taking off the carb for deeper clean, hopefully that will solve this, anything else to consider here?

Update... replaced the tank, fuel line from tank, and fuel lines to and from the fuel filter. Also, had the father inlaw took my carb and put it in a dunk tank to clean it out more thoroughly. Got her going in the yard with muffs and ran but didn't idol like a champ like before. Put her in the drink and started it up got going in gear kept applying more throttle and gained speed went for like 100 yards and applied more and she died! Couldn't get it started again, would start up for like 3 secs and die sometimes.

One thing I don't get... This and yesterday's time out on the water, the engine started up got going well almost full throttle for a little while and then lost power and died. But this time I can't get it to idle anymore.

First I'd have to ask that are you sure your not overheating. Water coming out of the telltale and engine not hot?

Your either flooding or starving for gas.

Did you try and pump up the primer bulb when this happens and if so was the bulb hard when you tried it. If so then your good there.

Can you continue to pump up the primer bulb and it never gets hard? Cause: Bad inlet valve or improper float drop = engine floods. You'll need a new inlet valve (needle and seat) and possibly adjust the float drop.

If you were able to squeeze the bulb a half dozen times and it then got hard I'd suspect a bad fuel pump. Thing is the outboard should run after doing that and then stall after it uses up the fuel in the carbs bowl. 100 yards is about right there and it should idle fine for a while.

If the above is all good then more then likely your carb is dirty. I know you said it was cleaned but it is the stuff you can't see that needs to be cleaned. At that time reassemble with a new carb kit be with diaphragms, gaskets and inlet valve.

Soaking the carb is good but that will only loosen the crud up. You have to then clean out the circuits and jets. I use a wire there.

Anything from a bread twister to one strand of wire taken from stainless steel cable. After the soak run that through and use a spray carb cleaner to flush them out. Follow up with compressed air. I'll often repeat the spray and wire multiple times to get a carb thoroughly clean. If this isn't done it is not clean. Just don't force the wire and use on that is not oversized as the jets are brass and can be enlarged.

I think other questions were asked and to help you, you have to answer them.

Water is coming out of engine... I'm getting spark as well and made sure fuel tank vent was open.

Had a new fuel line with primer bulb, bulb feels fine (not too soft).

Replaced the fuel pumps diaphragm prior to my episode yesterday.

Looks like my carb is still the problem!

The victory flag has been raised!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took her around the lake tonight no problems at all. The only adjustments I did since my last post was throw some sea foam into the tank and adjusted the primer knob and she lite up! smile Thanks Ya'll for the input!!!