• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting my edible landscape.

Powerstroke

Well, I've finally begun the process of planting my edible landscape. I'm creating a little orchard first to compliment my garden. I've planted two Superior Plum trees two HoneyGold apples, a Harellson, a Sweet 16 and two other varieties of apples I'm forgetting at the moment.

I'm hoping to add some pear trees and maybe some currant shrubs and maybe try to get some blueberries going. I have a large patch of evergreens with room under them. Pair that with the raspberries and I hope to get enough fruits to do some canning and jams.

The rhubarb is coming up well and the asparagus has sprouted too. Time to get some more veggies in the ground!!! I've got several flower buds on the plums so I'm hoping to get fruit this year from those.

Doing a little of the same PS. It looks like my two new apple trees survived the winter and I might add a couple more this year. I even found one apple last fall. Putting in a new garden this spring and planted other herbs in pots on the deck. I have some wild raspberries but I think I will add some of those around the yard too.

Finished off the raised beds alongside the house and will be putting in strawberries tonight or tomorrow. By next week, I hope to have the other raised bed completed and get the blueberry bushes going. The rhubarb next to the future strawberry patch is thriving, as well as my "original" rhubarb beneath the chokecherry trees.

I'm late on raspberry project, but hopefully I can get them in the ground shortly.... The long term plan calls for a couple of apple trees along the south line, and perhaps even an effort at pears.

The way I figure it, if I'm going to spend the time planting stuff, it might as well have some food benefit!

I just took my first asparagus harvest!

I found out my third tree is another plum so I've got 3 plum trees in the ground in the one spot. The rhubarb is doing well and so are the raspberries.

We don't have any veggies in the ground, but we've got just about everything ready to go.

Finished off the raised beds alongside the house and will be putting in strawberries tonight or tomorrow. By next week, I hope to have the other raised bed completed and get the blueberry bushes going. The rhubarb next to the future strawberry patch is thriving, as well as my "original" rhubarb beneath the chokecherry trees.

I'm late on raspberry project, but hopefully I can get them in the ground shortly.... The long term plan calls for a couple of apple trees along the south line, and perhaps even an effort at pears.

The way I figure it, if I'm going to spend the time planting stuff, it might as well have some food benefit!

Good idea, I might have to add some strawberries and blueberries to my spread.

We did plant axsparagus, 3 years ago. It takes a couple years to get established, but so far this year we're doing pretty well. My wife chose to wait on a couple stalks and today they are too grown. Now we'll have to wait for the next flush of growth.

My established apple tree has 8 flower clusters with 5 flowers each. 40 possible apples sounds pretty good from a 1.5" tree.