• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 year old dog wont leave puppy alone

Kylersk

Just got my 8 week old GWP Saturday night. My current dog (2 year old boxer) wont leave the puppy alone. She's got to be everywhere the puppy is and constantly wants to play with it. It's not so bad when I'm home (the boxer listens to me) but I guess it's been pure hell today for my wife and kids.

Any tips?

Give it a few days.

Might want to get the boxer to listen to your wife too. I've got the same issue...very frustrating at times. My 1 yr old Vizsla ( got a 1 and 4yr old Vizsla) is getting better, but it's taking my wife more time and work than she'd like, but it's essential to get it done (pack leadership) sooner rather than later.

When we were dog sitting for the gf's grandma's tiny 8 year old dachshund, our 1 year old was just "a little" too energetic and excited about a dog in the house. As a 70-80lb dog, potential for injury was pretty big. They liked each other, but a pup not knowing its size and wanting to rough-house with a 9 lb animal is not a good situation.

We either had to keep the dogs separated, or keep our big dog on a leash with his gentle leader.

Once the big dog calmed down at night, they were great together.

I highly recommend a gentle leader if you don't have one, even just putting it on seems to calm all dogs down a little bit.

You may not want to hear it, but you may just be in for a tough time until the pup grows big enough to take care of itself a bit more. A month or two sounds like a lot, but you can take solace that it's not a permanent problem. Just tell the wife that it's like the temporary problems of having a newborn child :P

P.S. if it's not obvious already, do what you can to exercise and tire out your 2 year old.