• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Labs vs. British Labs?

CB34

I have owned regular labs for 20 years. My wife and I are in the market for a new puppy come spring, and she wants to get a female British lab because they tend to come smaller in size. I do not have any experience with British labs traits vs. a regular lab. I currently hunt ducks, geese, pheasants and grouse with our 6 YO male lab and am very happy with how he does for all types of hunting. I am looking for your insight to narrow down our search.

I have a British Lab puppy 13 weeks old, they do stay smaller, and are more mellow, I think they train a lot easier as well, they are very smart dogs.

I got my pup at 8 weeks, I had him retrieving, sit and stay within 1 week. I have taken him out to train only a couple times, and he will retrieve the bird to me, and give it up. I will be taking him out to flush some chuckers this week, and I know he will do well, as he has already found and retrieved birds in 3 foot high grass, that he had to sniff out.

I would recommend one over an American Lab.

They all were British labs at one point. A 1800.00 "British" lab can end up high strung, disobedient etc just as much an "American Lab"

Proper training of ANY dog is essential. I got my dog "Hunter" from the Golden Valley Humane Society at 2 years old. I have no idea if he is British or American but I have worked into developing him into a great hunter, and a great family dog. He had none of those traits out of the gate but I worked several hours every day with him and now people cannot believe how wonderful he is to hunt and be around for a family dog.

If you want to devote time and patience with any dog "British" or not you will be completely happy with your results.

Tons of great information on this HSOforum about common problems and how to help with them.

Just my 2 cents good luck on your search.

I have had american labs and liked them alot. I heard about the british lab on on the road with jason davis. My lab pasted away last year so I read alot about the brit lab. I talked with people and they say they are alot easier to train because they remember so well, alot calmer, and are supposed to run with their noise more to the ground then an american lab. I was very impressed with the brit labs when I looked at them. They tend to be a little smaller but the stud of mine is about 75lbs and then female about 65lbs. I pick mine up the first week of Nov. from Diamond J Brit Labs in Atwater,MN. I cant wait!

I have a 11 year old lean Mac female that has been one of the best dogs i will probably ever own. I got a British lab female about 4 years ago. She is a Very nice compact muscled lab. She was very easy to train, very mild mannered, takes training pressure very well. Is a ball of fire hunting upland game (thinks there are birds in every bit of cover) has a very good nose for waterfowl and marks well. I also have a 2 year old male yellow British lab that is a very laid back hunting machine he hunts upland very well and carries big geese like no dog I have ever seen. He doesn’t take training pressure as well as my female. If I had to say one difference between the American and British labs is patience and they seem to think more. Yes they get exited but not to the degree of American labs.(yes i know they were all once British labs before field trialing hyped them up so much) I agree that any dog can be trained my wife has a rott that I would take hunting any day she is obedient and loves to chase birds. (You have to get to the bird quick before she plucks it)

My wife and I got a british lab after our chessie passed away 3 years ago. He is a little smaller (chessie 110lbs Lab 75lbs) but the temperment is great. When at home he likes to lounge and take it easy, but in the field he is a madman. This is his second season hunting ducks and he is doing really well. What I really like is the intensity he has when its go time. He still has some trouble getting around the decoys but he is coming along nicely.

fnf