• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To VRO or not VRO

BRUNO

Question

Just got a gift from bro-in-law. 120 hp Johnson with VRO. Want to see how you guys feel about leaving it in place or running premix and disconnecting the VRO. Heard both good and bad. Any advice?

7 answers to this question

My dad has a 60 VRO and he has never had any problems with that system at all. I have noticed that it is generous on oil consumption. Some people have said bad things about it, but I personally have not experienced anything poor about it over the 8 years he has had the motor.

Bruno, I have a 1987 90 horse VRO and it still runs great. I have done nothing to it other than winterize it and change the plugs twice yearly. Not too bad when you consider that is is on the water 75-80 days a year.

It's not if it will fail it is when ask any outboard machanic it is how they make there money it's one reason OMC went broke a 120 overhaul is worth about $2500 to do

VRO Variable Ratio Oiling
I had a 40 rude tiller with vro, never again. It never blew but I had alot of troubles with the low oil alarm going off. It was a pain. I sold it and bought a mercury and have never looked back! I was a loyal omc man for many many years..... Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie