• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clutch Question

pisces

On my Polaris, when I start out (push the throttle until the clutch engages), I hear a CLUNK, I assume something to do with the clutch or clutch weights. If I "let the clutch out" smoothly it doesn't happen.If I accelerate at all quickly, then CLUNK. It only happens at start from a stop. Is this something I need to address? An adjustment I need to make?

It could be a worn belt, meaning it is too narrow and you are feeling the clunk when it engages. Or, it could be a loose drive chain in the chain case. When your clutch engages it is taking up the slack in the drive chain before it moves the sled. One other thing you could verify is that the track tension is right. A loose track can "slap" when it is too loose and also cause a noise when you first take off. Any one of these should be corrected right away to avoid further problems.

Is this sled new to you?

If it has always been like this it could be normal. Some people change spring rates in the clutches to give them a higher engagement, and if you do that the clutch can me a clunking sound when it engages.

If you have always had the sled and this is a new sound....you could have an issue.

Sounds like you're "Ratcheting". You should check your track tension; just tighten the rear nuts evenly. I'm not sure on the specifications for tightness so you'll need to but check your owners manual. You want some play but not too loose it ratchets. Let us know what you find out.

Originally Posted By: 311Hemi
Is this sled new to you?

If it has always been like this it could be normal. Some people change spring rates in the clutches to give them a higher engagement, and if you do that the clutch can me a clunking sound when it engages.

If you have always had the sled and this is a new sound....you could have an issue.

Yes, this sled is new to me, with 800 miles on it.

1) Has it always been this way?

2) What do you mean "if you let the clutch out smoothly it doesn't happen?" Does that meaning if you lightly throttle up in RPM's it will start moving without the clunk?

3) When you hear the clunk what RPM's are you at, and does the sled [PoorWordUsage] forward vs taking off nice and smooth? Can you take off smoothly at all or does it always [PoorWordUsage] (kind of question #2).

4)What is the sled?

On the 03' Rev I had it would take of nice and smooth with the stock clutching and would not [PoorWordUsage] at all. Once I put a clutch kit in (or a new different rate spring) the sled would not move until I hit that a higher RPM and the clutch would clunk when it engaged. This was normal for that sled with the springs I had in it.

From the Originator of this thread: Thanks to all for suggestions.But between starting a new job and a death in the family, I have not even had a chance to look at the machine since posting.I'll let you know when I figure anything out.

It's a Polaris 550 Classic (Edge Chassis) 2006 with 800 miles. Has the Polaris PERC electric reverse, but I dont think that has anything to do with it. And, yes, I mean that when I ramp up the revs smoothly it doesn't happen. I'll find some time this weekend 2/16 to work on it and let you all know. I'm thinking check track and clutch adjustments seem to be the place to start.

Also responding to question: no,it doesn't seem to wait for high revs and then jump, as you asked. It feels normal to me and I have over 10,000 miles riding Polaris. Just that noise that I know isn't supposed to be there.

Polaris licensed their reverse (PERC) from Skidoo so it's the same basic setup, so that is probably what you are hearing. I have never been around a newer Polaris sled, but I have been told that they also make a clunking noise do to the way the helix is built and the way it works (just like Skidoo, only I heard the clunk is not as loud).

There is no pretension in the secondary to keep the button against the helix....so when you go from say reverse to forward you can get a clunking sound as the buttons move from the reverse side of the helix to the forward side. There is some play there. I would assume you get the sounds when you stop fairly quickly also. It helps if you keep on the throttle just a little when stopping (until your stopped, then you can let off) so the buttons stay in contact with the helix.

Check all other things mentioned.....but you may not get rid of that sound....just an FYI.