• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakes being shutdown

Pig_sticka

A few lakes i have fished that i will keep unnamed were shut down for atleast 4 years. once they were opened back up the fishing was just amazing. half the fish never even saw a boat before. what would happen if we took lets say Phalen lake or something and shut it down for 4 or more years, then opened it to catch and release. In my mind i think that this should happen more. we have over 10,000 lakes, why not close a select few of the outfished lakes for a while, and have it catch and release after.

just wondering on what other people thought.

------------------
Good luck sticking pigs this year!

OUTSTANDING thought. Where I live there is at least 25 lakes that produce good fish so you could pick a few to save for our granchildern and would not upset the locals. My only question is would that be the start of shutting down alot of lakes and getting the PETA people on a role to get them all shut down. Would hate to see that,and we all know how they think. Love to eat fresh fish, but dont need to feed entire town.
Lets all practice C&R picture saves thousand fish.

i really think it would help a few lakes, what would it hurt to have catch n release on a select few, and i am talking a select few not just every lake. i think it would be a great opportunity for younger kids to enjoy the bigger fish, the other lakes might still have them. but it sucks not being able to catch good size fish near the cities.
in 30 years we will have to go even further up north to find quality fish. soon we will be fishin right next to penguins smile.gif

Pig_Sticka, you have a good idea there, but the state would lose money one way or another if they did this, and that is why they dont do it more often. I could give a list of lakes that they should shut down to improve fishing, but it wont happen. That is why they stock lakes, to maintain a healthy reproducing population of any given species. And to introduce new species that will thrive.

morriscode

I agree...good topic...
I would not only shut down some of the lakes but change the stocking policies. I wish the dnr would stop stocking upper red lake with walleyes when the crappie fishing is the best we have in the state....maybe even the midwest.
We have enough quality walleye lakes, but where else can a guy or gal wink.gif catch 12" plus crappies? Now I know of some city lakes that are decent but when you fish a lake like Red for crappies it is almost a sure thing that you will catch big crappies.

What a smart bunch us FM members are.....

ur in the right mind, but wait and see in 2-3 years that walleye fishing is going to be just huge. from the stuff i have heard it is going to be just as amazing for walleyes. there aren't as many monster crappie lakes in minnesota, but there are alot of good ones but you just have to put more effort into em. and by the way i hear it the crappies will be great for a long time also, with alot of yoy out there it will be strong.
if lakes were shut down there would be amazing sizes all over in that lake. imagine what the lakes were like back 200-300 years ago. well it would be a start to shut a few lakes down n reopen em after a bit for just catch n release. i have seen it happen for state forests n campgrounds. the lake i go to now is just amazing, and i mean amazing.