• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on the new 30lb minimum draw weight

rippinlips

A little up date. My wife and I haven't been able to get out, but we did clean a deer this week. My aunt who bought the same bow as my wife just took her first archery deer monday night. She is pulling back 36# and the deer only made it 40 yrds. To my suprise she was using wasp expandables with a huge cutting diameter (over a 1.5 inches but not sure on the measurements) which I would think would be a big mistake by her. However even with the small draw weight and big broadheads she got okay penetration. She did not get a pass through but hit a lung. It was a very nice size doe and she shot it at 18-22 yrds. Hoping to see what my wife can do now.

On the other hand, after shooting for 1 month my wife's bow is set to it's max 41#. She could hardly draw back 30# in the middle of september. Amazing how quickly women can gain muscle. For christmas she getting a new bow in the 40-50 range. Went shopping tonight and she can nearly draw back the full 50#.

rippin lips, why is it that you think we need more hunters out there??? I think there are plenty hunters crowding the public land. I have nothing against new hunters young or old but I just dont understand why some people (including the dnr, they just hired a new hunter recruiter???) think we should recruit hunters. Every year I hunt I continue to see more hunters at the public locations. Most of the time crowding the public land. Why recruit????

I don't hunt public land and there is alot of private land where nobody hunts out there. The land owners just need to be approached in the right manner, when asking for permission treat it like a job interview and your results will change.