• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weekend on the North Shore

WCS

Took the family up to Judge C.R. Magney State Park for the long holiday weekend. What a beautiful weekend it was for being outdoors. I was hoping to get out and take a lot of photos, but the trip started out on the wrong foot. We arrived Friday afternoon, set up camp and decided to take a short hike down along the river towards the lake. What started as a nice casual hike turned into a frantic run as we walked into a hornets nest. Needless to say, everyone but my wife was stung multiple times and me being allergic to bee stings, I got to spend a part of the night in the Grand Marais ER! The rest of the weekend, I spent in a Benadryl induced haze. I did manage to make it out on a couple more hikes with the camera ...being more careful as to where we were walking of course.

The first is a waterfall on the Brule River. It was late morning light so I threw everthing I had at it to get a slow enough shutter speed to get the blurred water. I used a 3 stop Nuetral Density filter and a circular polarizer, ISO 100, f32 at 1/2 second.

fallsze9.jpg

Our next hike took us up Oberg Mountain. This is one of our favorite fall colors hikes. We weren't expecting much for color yet, but I was curious as to how much we would see because of the drought. The colors are just starting to turn . In a couple weeks, this scene will be painted in orange and red.

obergqq3.jpg

obergtreefa1.jpg

One of the most dissapointing parts of the hike up Oberg was seeing the damage done by the drought. Being on the lake shore, you don't see it much, but get inland and it is very bad. Here is a snapshot i took at Oberg that shows how dry it is.

drykm7.jpg

great photos,WCS!.....My wife and I were up to the north shore also Saturday(Tettegouche)....and yes,it certainly was a "perfect" sunny,weekend!...on our way to the "shore" we happened upon a timber wolf carrying a dead rabbit (near Skibo)...thing was huge!...had my cameras next to me but it's tough to slow down from 60mph, grab cameras, focus,and keep the vehicle on the road and wolf at the same time! shocked.gif...no wolf pics smirk.gif...wolf didn't hang around for a photo shoot grin.gif...but still was neat to see it!...made my weekend...

Nice photos, WCS. I especially love the first one. Sorry to hear about your run in with the hornets. That must have been a bit traumatic.

Jonny, I would really have loved to see the shot of the wolf with it's kill. Actually, I would have loved to just experience the sight of it like you did.