• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rough fish laws?

skink

From the DNR's HSOforum:

Reality Check

Rumor: You can’t release rough fish such as carp and suckers caught while angling.

Reality: That’s no longer true. Since 1981, when an archaic law banning the release of rough

fish was rescinded by the DNR, it has been legal to return live rough fish to the water where

they were caught.

Reason: The idea behind the old law, and one still mistakenly believed by many anglers, is that

rough fish ruin lakes and rivers and should be removed. In fact, most rough fish are native

species that have coexisted with game fish for thousands of years. In some cases carp, an

exotic species, have invaded shallow lakes and muddied up the water by rooting in the bottom

for food. But in most waters where it lives, including Lake Mille Lacs and Lake Superior, carp

seem to exist peacefully with other fish. As for the other 35 or so rough fish found in

Minnesota, they are as sensitive to water pollution and as important to natural ecosystems as

game fish are.

That was from 1994. Now?

there's really no difference to the law today, except an emphasis on the proper disposal of rough fish,

i.e. NOT leaving them on the bank to rot.

I can't believe people still do this to this day. If you don't want the fish, don't catch/shoot them. It's that simple.

I think the biggest issue today is not so much rough fish and common carp, but preventing the spread of invasive species and pathogens like spiny water flea, VHS, Eurasion milfoil, Asian bighead carp, etc. in Minnesota waters.

Here's the rules:

Minnesota Rules, Table of Chapters

Table of contents for Chapter 6262

6262.0750 PROHIBITION ON RETURNING ROUGH FISH TO WATERS.

Rough fish taken by spearing, harpooning, or archery may

not be returned to the water and rough fish may not be left on

the banks of any water of the state.

STAT AUTH: MS s 97C.375; 97C.381; and others at 19 SR 6

HIST: 18 SR 83; 19 SR 484

Current as of 12/18/06

Amen,

I spend a fair amount of time carp fishing in and around the cities (3-5 times per week lately). I'll bet at least once a week, often times many more, I get someone who tells me that I'm breaking the law by releasing my carp. I calmy let them know that it has been many years since this was the case. If there are willing families nearby I glady give them as many carp as they will keep. I have never ended up it a shouting match, but I have come very close (if you are the guy from lake Nokomis who insisted that a bowfin must be not released by law you know who you are).

I think I might print out a small version of the law and keep it in my fishing kit just to let people know and hopefully let them get on with their lives (some people really are hung up on this).

Good post, timely as well.