• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gaslines on Indy 500 Carbs

ccarlson

I'm trying to help a friend figure out his 1990 indy 500. The gas lines and some of their plastic fittings on the carbs somehow broke or were pulled apart.

The larger main fuel line from the fuel pump to the one carb is good. It looks to me like the 2nd carb is fed from that carb as there is not another main line running to it.

The problem is in the 1/8 inch gas lines that exit the outside of each carb. On one side the gas line comes out and has a broken off plastic nipple and it ends there. The other carb is similar except it has a "T" that was left but not a broken match to the other side. In the center of the 2 carbs is another 1/8 inch gas line that connects the two carbs which is fine except there is also a "T" that leads down to what looks like a small plastic round check valve would be my guess. Again there is no broken end on this.

So, my question is a long shot. Can anyone tell me the gas line configuration for this set up. My guess is that the two outside lines run underneath the carbs and "t" into the check valve so they are all connected.

I tried going to the local polaris dealer and looking at a schematic but they only show one carb which doesn't help.

Any risk of just trying to hook them up together with new gas line and seeing if it works. I'd hate to starv a cylinder or something.

Any help in finding a picture or schematic on the web would also be great.

thanks,

ccarlson

The 1/8 lines you are talking about are the vacuum lines I believe? Mine are just like you discribed. They are not connected togather.

Each carb. has its own feul line comming from the pump(smaller round module on the right side, mounted to the underbody). I'm no small engine machanic, just comparing to mine. Hope this helps.

Dewoutdoor70,

That would be great if you can look up the diagram of the gas lines. Let me know. Thanks.

1lkstage,

I thought they were vaccuum or vent lines too and maybe they are but my buddy said that he started the machine this fall and gas was coming out of the left carb line that appear to be broken off. I also don't see a spot for the main fuel line to go to the right carb other than feeding over from the left carb via the middle 1/8 inch connecting gas line. Nothing going directly to the right carb from the fuel pump that I can find at all. I looked at my Indy trail and the carb set up is completely different than his 500.

Thanks for the help guys. I know it's not an easy thing to visualize or explain. Like I said before, I know it's a long shot getting it figured out by explanation rather than a diagram.

ccarlson