• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rensselaer county

It's great to see NY back up. The lakes in renss.co are making ice in these low temps. we have right now. Crooked lake was capped over as of Sat. the same with Glass Lake and Burden Lake. Crystal Lake was mostly open with waves. We will be able to get out early this year.

Did everyone find in their mail a copy of the new bi-weekly news paper called New York Outdoor News? This paper is loaded with info about nys hunting and fishing as well as other outdoor activities. The sample issue came out last month but the paper doesn't start up in earnest untill Feb. this is a must have for all New York sportsmen or Women. To subscribe to New York Outdoor news call 1-877-705-5303.

Welcome chiefpanfish back to the New York board! E. Greenbush LOL hey I think I got pulled over for speeding there thank God the cop let me off when he saw my military ID card. I am from Pittsfield, MA originally. Yes I did receive the NYON and was very impressed with that first issue. They are going get a subscription request from me that's for sure. Thanks for posting the number. Looking forward to catching up with you on the ice and keep the reports coming.

I'm really glad to see NY back up and running, I am also glad to see a post from you Chief as I thought you were headed south. The ice is forming nicely, I haven't been out yet but I did see a fella jigging out on glass lake just off the sand bar behind the old glass lake house this afternoon. I don't know how much ice is out there but if its safe there I'm sure Grafton water is safer and thats where I'm likely to be found this New Years weekend. As always, good luck and I hope to see ya on the ice.

Happy New Year Icy, Glad to see your still around. I'll be getting out after the New Years Probably the 8th I have to go to Mass. for new years I've got to stop at Conroy's and get bait. Did you get a copy of the new paper from New York outdoor News. Some great info in there. The Glanders never could zero in on you how about another hint. Chief

We thought we would be out on the ice locally but the weather changed and now its a waiting game for some more cold days to make the ice safe agian.The same patern is going to be for this week as well. It looks like the weekend of the 22nd should be OK. I did see some people out on glass lake yesterday they were on skies. not a soul on crooked lake but a few brave souls on the south end of Burden lake.

You're rigth Chief, The weather hasn't been good for the ice that we had but I did get out on Crooked Lake and the pearch were hitting. I found them to be running a little smaller than last year and that with smaller and lighter setups I out fished the rest of our party almost three to one. I'll wait now until the ice returns ,I hope it will be soon .I did receive my copy of NYON and I too found it very informitive and entertaining. I have suscribed and am looking foreward to the next issue,but I really don't agree with the editors zeal to mandate the use of blaze orange. I wear orange whenever I am on the move or when I am in new or unfammilliar territory ,but when I'm in an area that I am intamately familiar with and hunt regularly I am cammoed from head to toe.Bottom line on this subject "common sense cannot be legislated "period. It would the same as enacting a law that says there must be at least so many inches of ice to allow fishing. This is only my opinion, I would be glad to hear others. As always good luck and I'll see ya on the ice.

It's good to hear that crooked is producing, what was the hot jig did you tip it with maggots or your own bait? Did you start out with a big jig and then drop down a smaller offering? East end or west.

I also agree that what you wear for hunting should be an individual prefrence. But I do wear my blaze during gun season. I figure that I am looking for deer farther away then when I'm bow hunting and I play the condition and use a cover scent. If a deer comes in close that is gravy. I've also used an old Army olive drab sleeping bag on stand during those cold morning, boy does that conceal a body and it is very warm. See you out on the hard stuff. Chief

Wow, Chief. I didn,t get THAT many questions the last time I came home from a bender reeking of love potion #9 !!!. All I can say is get out there and try every thing and go with what works and then fine tune those that do. The cold has returned and the ice is back so I hope to get out this weekend. I don't know where yet But I hope to get a good crew together, It's always more fun when there is more people fishing ,catching fish, and having a good time. Speaking of more people, I'd like to see some posts from some locals other than the Chief and myself.I know your out there. As always good luck and I'll see ya on the ice.

The weather this weekend wasn't at all favoring the ice people, I didn't get out at all. Iwas glad to see that some hearty folks did fish in the Grafton lakes winter fest contest. I didn't see or hear any results but I heard there was a good turnout in spite of the cold temps. Chief you didn't mention if you caught any thing ,your methods, or if you went at it alone or not? I hoping next weekend wil be more suitable to a day out. As always good luck and I hpoe to see ya on the ice.

I was alone and just put down some fatheads on my poles. I usually like to set tip-up but didn't take the time. I was on the south side of the lake by Lilly lane in 20' of water. I was making fish but they kept moving around and I only had two bites. I drilled about 17 holes with no success. If it is good sat. we will try Davits pond for some crappie. My Lady likes to go but can't take the bitter cold. We will be using fatheads there as well.

This weekend looks downrigth fishable. I'm thinking pearch, (big pearch),Tomhannock pearch. Tell us how Davits treats you, Chief. Let's get some reports from some other waters from other fishermen and keep this thread active and up to date. As always good luck and I hope to see you on the ice.

I see that you are older we think along the same lines but I'm a little slow. Davits was slow We marked fish but they were very inactive, All fish caught were on fatheads. My friend John managed 3 nice slab crappie and a couple of bass. I managed a couple of bass one a nice 18" small mouth.John's Polaris 400 decided it didn't want to run so I had to tow him out with my Kawa 300 all up hill with ice under snow cutting down on my traction. Those spots I had to use the winch.

During the week I'm going to try Huddle bay on George, maybe I can manage some nice perch. Can't pass up all this nice weather.Chief.

Hey chief, sounds like you had good time on Davit's, I mean sometimes the downfalls make the trip most memmorable,like the time I went through the ice on Tsatsawassa, yeah,we cauhgt fish,but we still talk about the splash and how fast I climbed out and ran to the fireplace. The Tomhonnock perch let me down as they seemed to be nonexistant. I changed tactics at the end of the day and for the first time I limited out on Tomhannock walleyes. It was great. I can,t wait to do it again.

My friend here at work was also on the reservoir this weekend and he also said the walleye's were biting he was down at the spillway. he caught 3 two nice keepers and one nice jack perch. I went to crooked and only had a couple of flags one Bass and one nice size perch. Both went back. Other fisherman we talked to said the same thing very slow action. Very noisie from ATV's and snowmobiles.

Hey chief, I heard others say the motorized traffic was getting heavy on Crooked lake, I use my atv to get me there, It really is convienient but as a common courtesy I don,t tear around the lake making noise even when the fishing is slow. My 16 year old is just starting to understand this as he just can't seem to cover enough miles every time we take it out. A friend of mine fished Crystal lake and had some good pearch action, not alot of fish but some nice size fish. the biggest being nearly 14 inches ! I don't know how familier you are with the Tomhannock, but I fished in the area I call Remington's rock, which is north of Calruso island and on the west side of the Res. it is my favorite spot. It is quite a hike to get to in the open water season but just a walk across the Res. on the ice. As always good luck and I'll see ya on the ice. P.S. Looks like it's just you and me here on this thread again this year.

Hi Icy, yes we are alone here but I've been also posting on fish307, fish usa always looking for reports to help out. My Lady and I are headed to huddle bay on Sunday morning but she doesn't like to get up early to go fishing so it will be later morning before we get up there.I did good there last week we caught at least 150 perch apiece I kept 30 for the freezer. We did have alot of dinks to wade thru.But it was really nice out and it was nice to stay busy. With the way the weather has been I'm leaving the quad home again and have a nice walk. Some day we'll have to set aside some time and fish together. See you on the ice Chief