• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Busted tree limbs

Eric Wettschreck

During the ice storm we had here a few weeks back a LOT of limbs broke off. I have numerous maple (not sure which type of maple but they're really big), ash, and box elder trees with broken limbs.

Does a guy just leave them be or should I shimmy on up and cut the limb off at the trunk?

Suppose if the trees are near the house or man cave , in general, it is best to cut back to any growth or if none left on the limb, back to the trunk. If you do a nice clean, plumb cut with out much of a knob sticking out, the tree will essentially "scab over" just like we do, but with a type of new bark instead. This will lessen the opportunity to provide weak spots via pests, critters, infections.....and the potential for breakage in the future. Its a lot easier than patching more holes in roof. If the trees are in the back forty, I do agree with skunked though, and probably wouldn't bother. Ma nature will then provide a nice new supply of campfire wood for years to come. Are you getting close to cleaned up Eric? That must have sucked!!!

Quote:
Are you getting close to cleaned up Eric?

Kinda

Quote:
That must have sucked!!!

Word

Most of these trees are in the back forty so I'll just leave them be. One of the big maples closer to the house is coming down forever. Pretty much cuz it pizzed me off. I didn't ask for the fight but I believe in winning them. He started it.

full-1978-32531-full_20096_32042_562975_