• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We have the best ice conditions in NH that I have seen in a long time. We don't have the thickness that I have seen in previous years but it is good solid ice without too much snow cover. Unlike last season we have snow on the ground which will help hold the edge now that the days are getting longer. Last season (with no snow on the ground) I had to step off the ice into the water and then onto land when I came off a particular southern pond. The next morning there was more than 8' of open water along the shore due to heat radiation during the night.

Many southern NH lakes and ponds have as much as 13" of crystal clear ice with only 2" of snow ice on top and 6" - 8" of snow on top of that.

The bays on the north end of Lake Winnipesaukee have more than 15" of clear ice. One of the only negatives is that the big lakes froze and thawed a few times making the thickness not uniform. Some of the thaws we have had caused smaller holes to enlarge making travel a bit sketchy. I still use caution in areas I haven't fished this season. The big lakes in the lakes region have the advantage of less snow accumulation (but colder temps) than southern and seacoast NH.

I'm looking forward to some March t-shirt ice fishing.

I hope this rain doesn't ruin the local ice. Up north should be fine as they are getting all snow.

Hitting Winni Saturday for lakers. I need a good trip. Most have just been ok trips this yr, nothing outstanding yet.

I hope to get back over to great pond as well. That would surely be a great day. maybe Sunday.

Spike

The rain is chewing up the snow cover pretty fast. I hit Great Pond this morning. It was covered with snow at 6:30am. By 10am there was nothing but a little bit of slush. There was 8" of good ice when I left. We were done fishing there already by this time last season.