• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

exhaust boot on a i/o

walleye 4 me

I have a 2000 3.0 liter mercruiser that the exhaust boot came off. I really haven't tried to hard yet, but are there any tricks to getting it back on and keeping it on? It is really stiff and it is hard to get at the spot it attaches to at near the motor? Is it bad to run with out it hooked up? I didn't seem to be taking on any water. Just sounded like I had a v8. grin

It's actually called the Exhaust Bellows. You may be able to trim the motor just right to get your fingers in there and push it back on and re-tighten the clamp, but if it seems dry, stiff or cracked you may be better off replacing it, because it will probably just pop off again. In that case you would need to pull the entire outdrive off, which isn't super difficult but requires a couple good backs. I don't remember if the gimble needs to come off also in order get in there to replace it though, which requires a special tool I believe.

Oh, and I would definitely get it fixed, the bellows does a few things, one it sends the exhaust down through the lower unit and into the water making the motor quieter, and running without one may be breaking noise ordinances. And it is providing the back-pressure necessary for the motor to run properly.

Thanks Caman. Would it be easier to take it off completely and put it on the boat side first and then attach it to the lower unit side second. That side is easier to access. I guess I dont understand why you would possibly have to take off the whole out drive to do this. If you do however, I will be taking it to the shop since I am not very good at this stuff. As for it being dry and stiff, I had my lower unit and a BUNCH of other stuff replaced thanks to a rock 2 years ago and I think this was replaced then. I think it came off because when we were fishing the other day my buddy threw out the anchor and the rope got caught in there with the motor trimmed up all the way. It was a dam to get the rope out and if I remember right, the next time I started it up, it was louder.

Yeah, if the side that is difficult to get to is the detached side, then make it easier for yourself and disconnect it and attach the difficult side first. It would be a good idea to get some Bellows Adhesive to help keep it attached. Clean everything up with a little sandpaper and alcohol/acetone, apply the adhesive to the first flange and push the bellows on, if it is difficult or stiff, warm it up with a hairdryer to soften it up, once in place tighten the clamp. Apply adhesive to the other flange and repeat.

You need to pull the outdrive but the gimbal ring stays. You will have to install the transom side first, then use a bellows tool to pull the bellows onto the bell housing, using adhesive as mentioned.