• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LOW Slabs

jlm

Anyone ever been up to LOW to fish for crappies. I grew up fishing this lake and never targeted anything but eyes....man I wish I could go back. I heard that most of the fishing is done on the Canadian side. I have also heard there are some nice slabs in there. Anyone have information about this? Any pointers on where to look or who to contact would help! Thanks guys!

Crappies on LOW are superb once you find them. Average size up there is around 12 inches and many that are in the 14-15 inch range as well. Once you find one you typically find more. Down towards Rainy is full of crappies. Finding them further north can be difficult but if you find them, you are in for a treat! Crappies are not targeted all that much up on LOW and they are aggressive feeders when a school is found. A lot of times while fishing in the summer up there I've hooked into an accidental crappie while fishing for walleyes, and most of the time the crappie is like 14 or so inches. Sure would be fun to find a school of crappies up there during open water. I know that in the fall you can catch the crappies up there, but I like to chase the smallies smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

jlm,You can fish those crappies by Hay Island and in Stevens bay, out of Nestor Falls, they plow a road to both spots and you can drive your truck out to the spots, they catch very nice fish,You can stay at the Nestor Falls Motel for 20.00 dollars a night and they serve food also.

I am sorry to ask so many questions but how do you get to Nestor Falls. Is this on the Canadian side? Any times of the year better than others. How about a guide or renting a house, is that an option that anyone knows about? Anyone interested in a trip up there?

Crappie fishing is excellent in the Nestor Falls area. There is no need to get up early as the good bite usually doesn't start until 2 hours before dark. Most days limits are taken within an hour.

Nestor Falls is located about 75 miles north of the border at I-Falls. After crossing the border follow Hwy 11 west past Emo then 71 north to Nestor Falls. There are several resorts you can stay at the have cabins. Crawfords, Hansons, and Muskie come to mind. All are located on Crow Lake.

I wouldn't count on a plowed road to Hay Island. You can usually drive out on Stevens Bay, but you need to have access from the Crow Lake Association. You get access when you stay at Crow Lake Resorts. It is a gated access and sometimes its open and sometimes it' locked. You get the key from your resort. The road usually has tracks that others have made. It might not be there depending on snow conditons and weather. I think Young's Resort provides access Steven's Bay.

Gordy's plows a road on Sabaskong Bay and there are plenty of crappies to be had. This road is usually a sure thing. Any bait shop can direct you to Gordy's Road.

If you have sleds, Crow Lake has lakers.

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 02-03-2004).]