• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel Sender Unit Replacement

buzbunni

Hi HotSpot'rs,

I just purchased a used '97 1750 Crestliner Pro-Am Tiller this year. Nice boat, but of course have had to deal with numerous unexpected repairs.

Oh well, that's boat ownership, right?

The latest:

I was not getting proper readings on my fuel level (gauge would bounce back and forth from E to F, or would not work at all), and so I decided to replace the fuel gauge. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem.

I called the local marine repair shop and they said it sounded like it may be the fuel tank sender unit? I asked if I could save some labor charges if I took out the floor and seats, and they said yes. I figure if I'm in that far, I might as well try to replace the sender unit myself. I figure crazy.

The questions:

#1) Does it sound like the sender unit may indeed be the problem?

#2) Are these difficult to replace?

Thanks in advance everybody.

Yes sending unit might be the problem. You can remove it easily once you removed the floor.

It's a round metal part on top of tank, and you will recognize it since it has a pink wire in the middle post.

You can actually contact Crestliner and see if they have the replacement.

should have approx 5 screws holding it in place, remove wires, remove screws, pull old sender, may be a type that has an arm on it so you will have to move it around to get it out. remember how it came out, clean the old gasket off the tank, carefully not to get any junk in the tank. after it is cleaned put new gasket on sender, then carefully maneuver it back into the tank. then position to the same way that the old one came out, start all the screws and tighten in a crisscross method. tighten each equally careful not to squeeze the gasket out. attach wires ensuring the ends are good on each wire. check the gauge. good luck, they are not that hard.