• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pontoon lift recommendations

Tom7227

I am looking to buy a lift and need a 120 wide by 27 long. A friend recommended a Hewitt lift. I looked at his and it has main pieces that are 3 or 4 inch square aluminum pieces. My old lift is a vertical Shorestation and the 4 or 5 inch round posts seem to me to be much stronger. I got a quote of $5400 for the Hewitt, and have a quote for a DAKA at about $4900. I've never looked at the DAKA so I have no opinion about it.

What do others think?

Thanks

Tom

I personally like Pier Pleasure lifts, but they are spendy. I like the Seamark canopies ... more money but they last a long time, hold their color, and look great! Also think that Floe also make premium lifts, with Shoremasters close behind the two.

I think Daka, Hewitt, Vibo, are a step below for quality construction/materials IMO, but less expensive then the premium options above. ShoreStations look nice, but don't like the collar design on the posts (seems more likely to have binding problems) - the canopy frame does not drape down so seems like doesn't protect as well from the sides.

I would stay with a Veritical lift (could go cantiliever if yuo want to save some money). Vertical lifs are more versitile and typically can use in shallower water. When choosing, pay close attention to compairing the pully assemblies & the ease of maintaining/replacing cables. I personally don't like seeing ones with too much plastic components, prefer brass pullies (instead of plastic), stainless steel bolts/fasteners & cables (instead of galvinized), stainless steel/brass nuts, and real aluminum frame (mostly welded). Also, if you are on a lake that has fluctuating water levels, requiring you to move the lift, get one that has legs that are easy to adjust while in the water, also helps if it is lighter weight. I've seen ones that were only easy adjustable if you had the legs out of water (used galvanized bolt & nut - cheaper materials than stailess steel pins), Not fun, especially if your shoreline is mucky.

Note that you can't tell the difference in stregth looking at the frame. You really need to pay attention to the weight rating on the lift.

If you plan to enter your pontoon from the side, you'll want to pay attention to the frame design. I've seen some that make it very difficult to access the boat except from the front or back.

You can save a ton buying used, if you keep an eye out on the usual classified sites. Bought my pontoon lift for third of the cost of new. If going new, you may see some end of season deals, buy now instead of waiting till spring - cost of aluminum keeps moving prices higher. Personally like working with the lift store in Center City - they carry I think 3 of the brands mentioned, so you can compare the quality differences. They'll give you straight answers.

Good Luck!