• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Solar panel on fishhouse What size and where is the best palce to ?

Christopher Quast

I want to add one to my house, but am unsure of what size to get for just a constant trickle charge on 2 deep cycle batteries and I would be running a fan, 3 lights and a radio off of them.

Second question is where is the best place to mount it on the house I was kinda thinking the roof, but what if it snows???

how about towards the top on the end or side, do they charge during any conditions or does it have to have sun beating directly down on it to be able to do anything for me?

does it have to have sun beating directly down on it to be able to do anything for me?

The bigger the better, but it depends on how much you plan to use the batteries. If you're only using the shack once a week, you can get by with a smaller panel than if you want to use it three times a week. Solar panels do need to have the sun beating directly on them to get any real performance. I would get something that is positionable so the panel can be oriented towards the sun when it is available.

My 2 cents on solar panels. I purchased one couple of years ago and was not impressed by how it worked. It just did not keep the battery charged. It was a little on the small size also.

I got broken into that year and what they took was the solar panel -- they stole something that did not work very well. I think the solar panel led to the breakin but I can't prove that.

I am sure you can buy better panels now, just wanted to share my bad experience with the panel.

I am interested in the same thing. I have a suit case style solar charger 13 watt out put on the way, I have a clam 6800. I will be using the panel for charging my phone etc when camping on the ice, I don't know if it will be powerful enough to charge spare flasher battery though.

Quick rules for mounting solar panels.

Mount them in a place that will get good sun - like the roof.

Mount them at the angle that is the same as the latitude you plan to use the house at. 45 degree north latitude means mount the panel at a 45 degree angle. Then face the panels south. That is your optimum position to gather light.

I found a solar powered rope light for my portable. It is longer than the regular battery powered type rope light set up and the solar panel is easily connected and removed so you can set it by your house or wherever during the day. Looking forward to some free light this winter!

I am interested in the same thing. I have a suit case style solar charger 13 watt out put on the way, I have a clam 6800. I will be using the panel for charging my phone etc when camping on the ice, I don't know if it will be powerful enough to charge spare flasher battery though.

Why would you opt for the more expensive solar panel that is likely to be difficult to mount and transport over buying an extra flasher battery or two? Seems to me you just want to pimp you portable. To each their own...