Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Hudson

Ice Conditions

15 posts in this topic

People are starting to venture out, now that deer season is over. But, for some of us, fishing had started right at the begining of the 9 day gun season.

Ice varies from lake to lake, and some of the larger deep waters still have open water. But, on the norm, you are looking at anywhere from 3 to 6 inches of ice. Small protected lakes and bays have the most ice.

First ice is definately rocking!!!

1124081bl7.jpg

Whoa, nice walleye Jim!!!

Once again work is interfering with my fishing. I'll be out Saturday though.

Any of you Hayward guys been out lately? I've been working and doing a few things to keep the wife happy and haven't even checked on ice for a few days. Anyone been out on Grindstone or LCO yet?

Well, I'll answer my own question. We got out on LCO the last 2 days but not as far as I'd have liked. Still got 4 nice walleyes Monday but last night was a different story, no walleyes but 4 pretty nice sized northerns. Gotta work the next 4 days so hopefully by Sunday we can get out where we want to be. With all the snow forecast though, I don't know.

looking forward to getting out on LCO the week after Christmas. Fished it only once last year, but hear it's a great lake. All I ever hear about is Musky Bay, but am guessing there's a lot of good fishing areas with a lake that big.

Yup, lots of structure and walleyes are pretty spread out. We were out in Chicago Bay and fished some weed beds but there's some humps out in front of there we couldn't make it to. It was 19 below this morning so I'm guessing you can go almost anywhere now. Not sure if you'll be able to drive on it by then but a 4 wheeler shuld be good to go.

Also, don't forget Grindstone right across the road from LCO. Nice walleyes in both lakes.

Snooze

Thanks for the update on LCO.. Great body of water to fish.. And as you say, so is Grindstone.. Wish I could make it down there a bit more then usual!!

Might have to revise that "4 wheeler" prediction. We went out tonight and it didn't appear that we gained any ice and now there's another 4 or 5 inches of snow on it. Might be a bad year for traveling on the ice unless you're willing to walk.

BTW, we did catch 2 nice sized walleyes and 2 northerns. Rained pretty much the whole time we were out so got pretty soaked.

I know it's only been a week since the last report, but any new report for LCO? I'll be out there Friday and thin ice scares me to death. I'll be heading out from Victory Heights Circle on Musky Bay and the launch on that peninsula.

Snooze

Give me a call tomorrow if you have a chance.. Cell is (715) 209-6431.

Left you an e-mail too.

Thanks

Sorry I missed this Jim. There isn't a whole lot I could tell you that you probably don't already know. Haven't been able to get where I'd like to (no 4 wheeler or snowmobile) so I've been confined to the shore line where they seem to be pretty spread out. A couple here, a couple there and if you fish the same place twice, usually get nothing the second time. Seems like one place is as good as another.

Saturday 4 wheelers and snowmobiles were going just about any where they wanted (except the east end where the slush is deeper and the ice is thinner.) This new snow could change all that though.

Let me know how you did. Got a small honey-do list but should make it out a day or two this week.

Did great.. Give me a call and I can give you some details...

Okay. My wife's son and DIL are coming up tommorow but if I get a chance I will.

My wife and I got out there again today and hauled the portable out. That's getting to be a lot of work for an old f@rt like me but we did manage 4 walleyes all smaller ones, 16 to 20 inchers. We had a couple of small northerns that we were keeping for pickling and a bald eagle swooped down and flew away with one of them. Pretty cool to see.

Hey guys just looking for a little help on LCO. I hit the lake every year for pike and panfish but I would like to spend a night or two on the ice fishing for eyes sometime soon. I'm assuming the bite can be an all nighter here with the water clairity? Suckers or shinners? What depths and structure are best this time of year through january? I have a gps and lakemaster chip, and I know there is all kinds of shelfs and bars on the lake. What section of the lake tends to hold more walleye? Being pointed in the right direction would be nice. Thanks for any advice. Just would like to get on some fish.

Well, we were out on LCO today and it was pretty slow. Had 2 flags and one 17" walleye. I think it was the cold front moving through but who knows. Both flags were on the shallower tip ups (6' to 10') and have been using nothing but sucker minnows, the small northern size. Seems like using smaller minnows only produces small northerns. Haven't tried shiners yet.

Anyhoo, we were able to drive the truck out but it was a little touch and go. Snow's kind of deep and some pockets of slush here and there. A 4 wheeler or a snowmobile would probably be a better option but I have neither.