• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crack in Lower Unit...

Rebel9921

1988 Mercury XR4 Black Max 150HP

I took the lower unit off... and upon closer inspection... I found this crack on the prop shaft housing of the lower unit approx 1-2 inch behind the lube port...

This crack is apparently a "T" on its side... on the short line, its about 2 inches long while on the long side its about 3 inches...

Would this be repairable by doing some TIG welding or would this crack pretty much render the whole lower unit housing useless???

Here are the pics to give you idea of what Im talking about...

53d7f267.jpg

557b093b.jpg

Looks like a freeze crack to me(although a vertical crack is a bit odd, most freeze cracks are just horizontal). Whether or not it can be repaired will depend on whether or not the housing is still suitable for sealing around the bearing carrier. The vertical part of the crack looks like it is right near where the o ring would be on the bearing carrier. It would be a good idea to take it to a shop for an experienced opinion from someone who can take it apart and have a better look. If seen both situations..repairable and non-repairable.