Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Christopher Quast

Blower Fan problem in 98 Contour any suggestions???

15 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my fan only works on high whether I have the heater on or the AC and I replaced the switch already so what else could it be and checked all the fuses too.

Sound like a blower motor resistor. Should be cheap and easy to replace. I think they are right behind the glove box on those models. Empty your glove box and drop it forward and down and look behind. You should see the black heater/A/C plenum. Look for a moderate sized elec. plug going into box. It should have two screws holding the resistor in. Remove screws and pull out resistor. Examine for burns or broken filaments.

The blower motor speed control resistor could be part of the blower motor on this model, or might need the blower motor removed to gain access.

1) Release 4 clips (by pulling them out) securing the passenger side footwell upper trim panel.

This might be more of what is needed!

2) Disconnect the motor's electrical connector.

3) Lift the motor's retaining lug slightly, twist the motor counterclockwise about 30 degrees, then remove the assembly.

4) Remove the motor control resistor by sliding a slim screwdriver into the slot provided in one end. Press the screwdriver in approx. 1/4" against spring pressure, and pry the resistor out.

They have had problems with them melting the connector to the resistor as well, if it looks melted replace resistor and pigtail harness

Thanks guys usually pretty good mechanic but this new junk gets me flustered at times

Shack were you just trying to tell me there are 2 different ways to access the resistor? didn't quite follow you

I am almost postive the second way is the way.

Good luck!

Here is a picture of its location.

blowerresistor.jpg

OK, I guess I will say my first responce! grin

Thanks 4.W.E.

hey thanks guys you were both a huge help

4 W E I really appreciate the diagram will make job ten times easier now

No problem! If you have more questions feel free to ask!

Gold Tip, I did an article a little while back on how to figure out blower motor problems.

Diagnosing blower motor problems

Sounds like you do have a resistor problem, but thought I would mention it.

There is one screw that hold these in, it is a torx screw. It is located under the dash just right (passenger side) of center, and is mounted vertically, not behind glove box. The other real Ford mechanic was right, (no offense AJ, not directed at you), look at the connector, it most likely is fried, replace it as stated earlier along with updated resistor. There was a program on these,it has since expired, you may want to consider getting the parts from Ford directly, to insure you are getting the updated part.

Thanks Captain Don I really appreciate the info sound like it would save me some trouble in the long run.

So how do you access it then if it's not behind the glovebox?

Under the passenger side dash there is a trim cover held in place with one plastic push stud that unscrews from a stud, and two plastic push studs that pull out of a slotted metal frame under the glove box. Remove that cover and look to the upper left (just above where a passengers left foot would rest), you will see a wiring loom going to the resistor, four wires if I recall, its been a few years. Unplug that and inspect for melting/burnt appearance. You will see one torx screw, #15 or #20 torx bit holding the plastic resistor housing, remove screw and it will come out. These also had switch overheat problems normally resulting in no blower operation period, the switch would also have a different feel to it if this were the problem.

Good Luck