• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat shipping and salt water.

fluidmotion

Hi,

I just joined the forums looking for a few answers after not being able to find them through google.

I am just about to get my first boat, but the process of obtaining it is very interesting. I will be getting a boat for free from a family friend, although there may be some problems.

The boat is about 17-19 ft, it currently is in Rhode Island, and has been put in salt water. This family friend moved to Rhode Island about 4.5 years ago. They were using the boat here in MN and brought it with them to RI, but also tried using it in the ocean there.

I believe they are not too good with maintenance so I am not sure if they flushed the salt water out. What kind of problems can I expect for a boat that has let salt water sit in it for a few years?

I know you can't beat free for the price on a 2000+ boat, but I was wondering what should I be checking for when I receive it? What damages? etc. I am a bit unfamiliar with boat mechanics and terms, but I do a lot of work on my own cars and motorcycles, so I am mechanically inclined. I have read the items to check on used boats, but could not find anything for a boat that has been sitting in salt water for some time.

In addition, if anyone on the forums has a good, cheap boat transporting company that they have worked with, it would be great to get a reference. There seem to be quite a few out there.

When I lived by the ocean they would put motors in a solution I believe like radiator cleaner in a tub and run the cleaner through the system once in drydock.On the boat it was barnical removal, buff,wax,on fiberglass.

Is this a stern drive or an outboard?. Did it sit on land or was it moored in a marina?

With either one, the first thing I would replace would be the water pump.

I worked for a guy who frequently bought used stuff from Florida. No 2 were the same when it came to corrosion. On the stern drives, sometimes I had to replace exhaust manifolds, risers, water circulating pumps.

if I remember right, it is a stern drive (I have only been on the boat twice, about 5 years ago). I don't believe they live next to the ocean, so it was probably sitting on land afterwards.

Is there a way for me to check the items you stated for corrosion? Maybe some indicator without pulling the parts?

I really appreciate the advice :-)

Look obvious signs of corrosion on exterior parts like the sacrificial anodes-trim tab being one, prop and prop shaft.

As far as the other parts, anything that came into contact with salt water. Manifolds, risers, water pump, power steering cooler, would have to be removed to look at them. However, I wouldn't go through all that necessarily, 4-5 years probably wasn't enough to ruin those parts. Just be aware that they may corrode or rust up sooner than if they had been used in fresh water.

Like I stated before, I would replace the water pump without even thinking about it. I would also service it right away, oil, filter, grease, etc.

One other thing to consider, is when you remove nuts and bolts, you will likely run into some frozen threads. Be gentle. Dont force anything. A little heat will help. When you remove old bolts and screws, clean the threads and if they show any signs of corrosion replace them with stainless steel only. This will be helpful in future service.

The price is right, I'd jump on it myself.

thanks for the information. I'm guessing I'm getting myself into a whole different world ;-).

But, is there anything to do to help slow down the corrosion process? like a chemical that I can run through those parts to help slow it down?

I'm also guessing there are manuals somewhere for repairs? I know for my cars and bikes, online manuals can generally be found for the factory service manual (fsm). Otherwise I can probably check forums.

Are there other forums to get information? I just checked up "boat and mn" to find this forum. Or maybe even brand specific forums, the boat is a larson openbow, I/O, early 2000's. That's as much as I know right now.

Thanks again.

Salt water is very hard for any motor. The hours of water flow through any internal part will cause a lot of wear. Besides flushing with freshwater there is not much you can do. Since the boat it's free, I would just keep one eye on it, usually first things to go out are exhaust manifolds, water pumps, etc, as Boatfixer mentioned.

Even if stored out of water there's a lot of "salty" moisture in the air which does increase corrosion process.

For sure get a new water impeller kit, and wash boat inside and out very well, check all the pumps (bilge, livewell, etc), and all the electrical system.

Boat shipping...I do it, but don't expect to see cheap rates from NJ to here, I would say approx $ 1500 on the cheap side, be sure you get a DOT certified and insured hauler (by law), anybody else is illegal, and can cause a lot of issues, which varies from having your boat confiscated, or damaged without any recourse.

Boatfixer, you won't believe how many east/west/south coast repeat customers I have due to salt water. Every 2 or 3 years they buy new gauges, electrical etc. due to saltwater issues, and they do it regardless, they know what that does, and they don't want to get caught stranded.

How many of you have seen or actually have a classic '70s 15hp Evinrude ? Or a 1968 25hp ? Many are still running great.

Now ask anybody in FL if they remember the last time they've seen one, heck ask them the last time they've seen a 1998....

This is the reason boat/motor market values are not quoted right, we have a huge advantage over many other parts of the country, we are FRESHWATER.