• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do I do?

the man

Feel pretty bad right now because I shot a nice buck but I think I hit him in the liver/gut, too far back. So I go examine my arrow and see that the back half of it is covered in a darker blood but the front half has a grey film to it that smells really funky. So I gave it about 6 hours before I went back out. I found some concentration of blood around where I found the arrow about 10 feet away with the same funny smell. But I didn't find a trail, so then I combed the direction it ran to but I didn't find anything. I feel really bad because all of my other bow kills have been very clean and fast and now I feel even worse it kinda sucks the fun out of it.

Thanks

If it liver shot he will die even a gut shot will die if you had a pass through you should have some kind of blood trail. Think back to when you made the shot how did he react kinda just hunch up and walk away gut shot he will lay down is the area under pressure where a hunter could of kicked him up if not he should be layed down and stiffened by now good luck. Do big circles and a grid search you will find him

Same type of shot I put on a doe earlier this year. You did the right thing by backing out for that ling. You likely aren't going to have much of a blood trail but its possible. Start from the last place you saw him and mark that spot with either tape or tissue. From there do some grid searches...or circle out from there. The idea being to systematically search from the last known spot, looking for both deer, blood, hair, or tracks. If u find something mark it with more tissue. Its much easier with more than one set of eyes but try not to wander aimlessly as u could easily miss something. It also helps to have someone there to keep u going and encourage.

The deer is likely dead, you can find it. My experience with liver shots is that they won't go more than a couple of hundred yards if they aren't pushed. Good luck. Keep trying!